100K Passive Annual Income

Question:

I’ve just heard about REIT for the first time and I searched for a few goods ones and BXMT came across my desk. I looked at it and noticed the 8.05% dividend yield! That’s phenomenal!
Isn’t this asset beating the S&P500? Is BXMT the best REIT? What difference is it whith BXMT and BX?
Thanks for your clarifications.

Answer:

It has over 100% payout ratio. That means it pays out more in dividends than what it makes as a company. Usually the dividend will be cut, so don’t expect 8% to last. Usually, if a stock has a high dividend, they don’t grow too much per share. Not to mention taxes on reits are taxed differently than regular qualified dividends.

That is probably the EPS payout ratio, but in REIT you have to look at the FFO payout ratio!

NRZ is residential Mortgage REITs paying 13% dividends

http://www.dividend.com/dividend-stocks/best-dividend-stocks/

Here ya go, Fearless Leader…

Once you are still stuck to paying taxes, you will need about $150K to make it even, right?

The more you earn, the higher your tax bracket will go up. Cha-chin for the IRS.

Are your investments free of “the bubble” aka 2008?

Just asking.

I would not put any more money into REIT unless my stock portfolio is at least equal to the value of my real estate portfolio.

Fine, just buy two more Sunset homes, then call me in the morning…

What is the value of your real estate portfolio?

Value net of mortgage and debt?

It’s zero if leveraged right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That reminds me of Bezos’ goal to have zero profit.

1 Like

Article released today comparing OHI and MPW. How timely!

Conclusion:

The two stocks both trade at a huge discount to the market multiple and to the REIT sector in general. Both have very low debt (for REITs), great dividend yields and good management teams. The EBITDAR coverage differences are quite drastic and tilt the scales in favor of MPW.

On our scale of 1-10, where 1 would be “Avoid like the bubonic plague” and 10 would be “Buy like this is Apple in March 2009,” I would rate MPW an 8 and OHI a 6.5. Both stocks are buyable at current prices, but if I had to pick only one stock here, it would be MPW, as it is likely to deliver far superior returns with lesser risk.

1 Like

How come you ask me this very personal question when you wouldn’t even reveal where you live and the value of your AAPL holding?

1 Like

It’s hard to argue with the 2nd richest man in the world. Although, I think it’s important to note that zero profit is because of investment in future growth. The goal isn’t to run a break even business with no growth. It only works if revenue keeps growing fast enough. The magic question is what’s “fast enough”? I hope we don’t find out what’s not fast enough.

Zero profit works…Live off the capital gains at a lower tax rate than REiTS…Reits are like bond funds because they are a blended investment with management fees…Owning iindividual RE assets means more control and potential higher returns. .Reits are like blended scotch. .Individual property’s are like single malt.

That’s the same goal as we landlords. Zero profit for rental properties :grin:

1 Like

Sounds like a millennial we all know and love too…:grinning:

No one asked me but I will offer. I live in Hayward and owns 50 shares of Apple.
:sweat_smile:

I got ways to go compared to you guys.

3 Likes

Well, volunteer your RE holdings and your stock portfolio first

[quote=“manch, post:31, topic:2680, full:true”]
Article released today comparing OHI and MPW. How timely!

seekingalpha.com

[/quote]> OHI’s portfolio comprises of over 970 healthcare facilities in 42 states and the UK, focusing on skilled nursing, transitional care and Senior Housing. The REIT receives fixed rent payments from tenants with annual escalators, while operators receive revenues through Medicare, Medicaid or Private Pay.

MPW owns and leases acute care hospitals and inpatient rehabilitation services. It has over 269 properties in 5 countries, which are leased to over 30 operators.

They operates in different market segment. Would there be more people needing acute care in the future?

Acute care will always be in demand I think. But why choose when you can buy both?