~1M housing in SF

Happy Sunday mornin’, folks. :slight_smile:

Asking this for a friend (plus I’m also interested in) whom I’m trying to convince buying a place in SF.

If you were to buy ~1M property in SF today, where would you look? Couple of years ago, 1M could get you a new-ish 2b2ba condo in South Beach/Mission Bay, but that seems long gone. I know folks here advocate SFH, but there aren’t any in that price range.

My friends are also a young DINK techies (late 20~early 30s).

Ok, you are ahead of yourself (it’s Saturday here, unless you are in Asia…).

I would say still try for a SFH in the outskirts or fringe areas where you might be able to find a fixer/small home for 1M. So, I am thinking Outer Mission, Excelsior, Ingleside Heights, Visitation Valley and perhaps Bayview. This of course depends if your friends are handy and would like to actually create their living space over time. Some people love it, some people don’t and want a space already done. If the later, then SFH is probably out.

How do you compare Daly City against Outer Mission, Excelsior, Ingleside Heights, Visitation Valley and Bayview?

For primary home, some people might choose Daly City due to better personal safety in San Mateo county. How about appreciation potentials?

Yeah, but one will die from the fog…:grin:

Young DINK techies can probably afford more than 1m. Increase budget to 1.5 and the world opens up. Lots of options at that price range.

1 Like

Why look in those areas if you have $1M. Plenty of fixers at that price right here in Sunset.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Unknown/2450-30th-Ave-94116/home/1612267?utm_source=myredfin&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ios_share&utm_nooverride=1&utm_content=link

Just bought in Daly City. Yeah it gets foggy but I think people over-exaggerate it. :joy: definitely prefer it over Bayview, Visitation Valley, etc.

But personally, if you can increase your budget a bit, I would buy in Sunset to stay in SF Proper. Sunset gets a bit of fog too but not as bad as DC.

Are these neighborhoods safe? I’ve been to Bayview once and am never setting foot in that neighborhood again. Getting around / going out etc don’t see pretty easy either. I should check some muni lines there.

No, they are not safe.

Problem is down payment - these guys are 1st gen techies (ergo joined workforce little later than usual) so accumulating big downpayment isn’t so easy.

On a related note, most of the preIPO folks are sitting on paper money and can’t make 20% on most properties in SF. This is why I’m bullish on any IPO, regardless of whether the stock price tanks after IPO. It’s illiquid $$ all of sudden coming out on RE market.

But final price will more than likely be higher. I believe the goal is to stick to a 1M spend if at all possible…

1M is the final price…

Oops my bad. Oh you know why? Look at the address number? Easy to die??? Yeah, no wonder…

Ok, well, here’s another one close to 1M without the dreaded “4”:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Unknown/2631-Ulloa-St-94116/home/662957?utm_source=myredfin&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ios_share&utm_nooverride=1&utm_content=link

Young DINK techies don’t want no stinking fixers.

I think townhomes are a happy middle between SFH and condo. There may be TH around 1m in SOMA and portrero hill? How about dogpatch?

1 Like

Yes, there’s also a $1M manor waiting for them in Vallejo if they don’t want “stinking fixers”.

Well, the young techies I know and work with are very cheap individuals and would not like to pay stupid HOA fees. Soooo, what to do then???

1 Like

Pretty good, you should be a RE agent…:grinning:

1 Like

I don’t like working for others though. That’s why I’m an investor.

Get that manor in Vallejo :slight_smile: