Amazon HQ2

Have you driven in Austin - traffic is horrendous because there’s only one major hwy (35) that goes through the city - it’s just as bad as the BA

1 Like

:grin:

Ideally, slightly above inflation appreciation. The problem with US is RE is considered as private transactions, and government doesn’t own large tract of land. Otherwise, during time like this, government can release lands and/or increase transaction costs to push down the prices. And buy back houses/ land during 2009-2010.

No need to go through the city. The possible sites are in NW and N Austin.
So commute between HQ2 sites and residential area doesn’t need to go through downtown at all, depending where the sites are, the commute is mostly East-West rather than North-South.
If want to have “downtown” lifestyle, go to The Domain, Gateway or The Arboretum (they are close to each other).
To go to Airport, use 130.

Austin is too small for HQ2. It doesn’t have international airport and the place @hanera shows doesn’t have any mass transit, both requirements of Amazon’s.

I think DC and nearby suburbs is in the top 3, along with Dallas and Denver.

I think you didn’t read the map correctly. Austin has an international airport and the possible sites are on where the mass transit stations are. And why are you so biased against Austin?

Map again showing the mass transit and airport clearly and the mass transit stations… exclude other details for clarity. The possible sites can accommodate many HQs.

The traffic is still awful even if you go mopac

Map showing traffic now. 35 is really bad. Mopac (highway 1), Palmer Lane (highway 734) and 183 are ok. If you’re staying on the NW, West, South and East of the site, no need to use Mopac.

So when is the final result going to be revealed?

The real question is how much appreciation you can get in Austin if it’s chosen.

Austin is actually my #1 guess. Since i never visited Dallas, I could be biased. But people say that Dallas lacks charm and tech workers may not move there

1 Like

Dell has the office in the suburb. Does Amazon has to chose a location close to downtown?

You should ask Jeff Bezos. In any case, none of the possible sites suggested by journalists are near downtown.

I’m still rooting for Concord…

2 Likes

I am rooting for San Jose… boy, imagine if both AMZN and GOOG have massive offices in SJ… :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Those mass transit rail stations are pretty sparse. They seem to be sparser than both BART and Caltrain. Austin airport doesn’t have many international flights. They mostly fly to Mexico and Central America, and two European cities London and Frankfurt. None flies to China and India.

San Jose would do. But preferably West San Jose… :laughing:

Not an Amazon requirement.

case for detroit?

Every cities have a chance till is over :grin: It ain’t over till it’s over :joy: We are all guessing what Jeff wants :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I am also not sure, getting the HQ2 is that beneficial for landlords and renters… seem worse. Renters have to pay higher rent, landlords have to pay higher property tax… seem good for sellers :grin: The high property tax situation in Austin means it is better for landlords only in a moderately rising to declining RE market.

Where are the jobs coming from to fill all that office space though? It seems they are building space anticipating there will be companies to fill it. I still like Detroit has a long shot candidate. It’s probably the only city with enough cheap, vacant land.

Do you really think the cost factor is going to have that much of a say in the chosen city? I don’t. The city has to provide most if not all of the attributes in the RFP as outlined. This company is making gobs of money, they don’t need cheap this or that. That is why, the outskirts of the Bay Area makes sense on an overall basis if you really are looking to fulfill the attributes wanted. Knock this area as much as you want but here we are with all of the Big Boys playing together. Jeff, time to bring your toys and join the party…