Amazon tech unit forms downtown San Jose beachhead

Older news from May…

Amazon.com, one of the famed brand names in technology, has begun to establish a beachhead in downtown San Jose in a move that bolsters the South Bay city’s urban heart.

Amazon’s Lab126 research and development unit has moved into at least one floor of the office tower at 75 E. Santa Clara Street, according to people with knowledge of the tech giant’s occupancy in downtown San Jose.

Lab126 is taking at least the eighth floor in one of two buildings in the Towers @ 2nd office complex near the corner of East Santa Clara Street and North Second Street. The Amazon unit also is eyeing an additional floor in the building, according to people familiar with the situation and a person with direct knowledge of Amazon’s push into downtown San Jose.

Two floors in the building would be enough space for about 140 Amazon employees. The eighth floor is about 14,000 square feet.

Maybe I will move back at some point. That’d be walking distance from my place in SJ.

Lab126 is HQ in Sunnyvale since 2004. Has a branch in Cupertino. Is that a new branch or is moving the HQ & everybody there?

1 Like

The new one is way too small to move everyone there. There’s a lot of people working in Sunnyvale. I think the Cupertino offices were shutdown when they moved to Sunnyvale. At least the people I know there all moved to Sunnyvale.

Shutdown the one along Steven Creek, move to near the Cupertino Library :grin: So still got a Cupertino branch.

1 Like

AWS is still occupied in Cupertino.

1 Like