Apple Bombed. Anyone Buying?

LOL LOL LOL

Manch : Bayview :: SFdragonboy : Sunset

I don’t think my fondness for Bayview is anywhere close to @sfdragonboy’s Sunset fever…

https://www.thestreet.com/story/14130704/1/where-in-the-world-did-the-rest-of-macy-s-and-kohl-s-sales-go-this-spring.html

Macy is crashing. That much we expected. But there is this hidden gem in the article:

Macy’s said it saw increased pressure on its watch sales, a troubling trend that led to Fossil’s (FOSL) disastrous first quarter.

Apple Watch is far from a failure.

2 Likes

Hey, I don’t write the articles (that tout the Sunset) nor am I the one overbidding or paying 1.3M for a relatively small home out there. Facts are there for you to accept or deny all you want.

Not bad for a “failed” product. It’s really shocking considering the Apple watch has a much higher ASP than a fitbit.

Problem with Fitbit is you always have to have your phone with you otherwise the GPS doesn’t work. That defeats the whole purpose of having a fitness watch.

I read this about Apple bonds. What is the rationale to use bonds when huge cash is hoarded abroad? Can they not loan from abroad?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-issues-7-billion-in-corporate-bonds-2017-05-11

Apple issues $7 billion in corporate bonds
Published: May 11, 2017 5:32 p.m. ET

Apple Inc. AAPL, +0.86% said it issued $7 billion in corporate bonds, according to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing late Thursday. The tech giant said it issued $500 million in floating-rate bonds due in 2020, $750 million in floating-rate bonds due in 2022, $1 billion in 1.8% bonds due in 2020, $1 billion in 2.3% bonds due in 2022, $1.75 billion in 2.85% bonds due in 2024, and $2 billion in 3.2% bonds due in 2027. Apple has been using debt to pay shareholders while holding most of its $256 billion in cash overseas to avoid repatriation taxes. The company increased its shareholder-return program last week to $300 billion in concert with a quarterly earnings report that showed Apple added slightly more debt than cash in the quarter. Since Apple launched its shareholder-return program in 2012, its long-term debt has risen from zero to nearly $85 billion as of the end of last quarter. Apple stock, which hit record highs earlier this week that made it the first company with an $800 billion market cap, fell 0.1% at $153.84 after hours.

I think it would be hard to borrow money from abroad. Which explains why Apple is doing this. They would not have done it if they could freely move money back to the US without tax consequences, or be able to borrow money more cheaply from foreign banks.

1 Like

Their shareholders are in the US. They need money in the US to pay dividends and excecute stock buybacks. If they brought offshore money back to the US, then they’d have to pay a 35% tax on it. It’s far cheaper to leave the money offshore and borrow money in the US at current interest rates.

1 Like

A feature? 15x from OP dated May 2, 2017

@manch,

Is there any companies selling feature only?

1 Like

@hanera do you think new Microsoft with its open Window 11 give Apple run for the money?

Anti-Microsoft is so passe’

I don’t follow Microsoft and Windows world.

Whether one likes or not. There is one thing apple is really good at. It serves a smaller segment of market and serves it pretty well.

Market segmentation we know of is defined by market research companies. Wisdom of Apple is not to use those definition.

But segments do exist. Even my family is divided into two camps. One roots for Apple, and the other for the others.

Yes but Apple doesn’t use those segmentation by market research companies.

My family has both Macs and PCs. PCs (self assembled) are for playing video games and browsing high risk websites. Rest is on Macs.

Nadella welcomes iMessage and FaceTime to Windows platform, hopefully is because he hears something. So far Apple is stifling iMessage and FaceTime.

May be not. But Apple does understand its market segment (customers) and where to draw the line between its customers and others ( Geoffrey Moore calls it chasm) . They do their own research. This concept is very well explained by Geoffrey Moore in his book Crossing the chasm

That’s correct.