California Wildfires: Housing Markets Will Likely Feel Devastating Effects for Years

It’s going to take a few years for the government to clear the environmental and other regulatory huddles before any house can be rebuilt.

Santa Rosa will sure have a housing shortage. Where will the people move to if Santa Rosa has no vacancy?

How useful is the fire sprinkler? Is it justified to require new houses to install fire sprinkler?

I heard even some remodeling may trigger the fire sprinkler requirement. Is it really helpful statistically?

Fire sprinklers are useless in a wildfire. .Not even very useful in an interior fire…Just a guarantee of major water damage. .Just a giveaway to the fire sprinkler industry and a pet project of the fire fighters unions…

Well, government should work for the people, but they ignore the majority’s interest and favor a tiny number of special interest groups.

Those homeless people should hate the fire sprinkler guys

Our friends’ home escaped the fire (.5 mi away). They recently posted some pictures of the house of one of their friends which somehow survived as well, despite being surrounded by adjacent homes which were each burned to the ground. Incredibly, you can see in the close-up pics the charred remains on one side of a (seemingly untouched) wood fence and trees immediately beyond on the other side (less than 1 foot away!). It is a mystery, but I wonder if somehow the ground had been watered by sprinklers(?) or the fence was especially resistant to fire…

For those who lost homes, they are calling for anyone willing to loan an RV temporarily as the shelters are full.

1 Like

“People are grieving right now,” said Santa Rosa City Councilwoman Julie Combs. “They are thinking that they want to get back what they had. That is the first response when people are grieving a loss. As they take more time, they may want to sell their land or build differently. We will be open to that, but we cannot require it.”

She added, “I would love to see more housing in Coffey Park.”

_She’s not alone. Shirlee Zane, chairwoman of the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors, said _
she will do whatever she can to build higher-density, transit-oriented development in the burn zones — particularly Coffey Park, which is bordered by the SMART commuter line’s tracks.

“I think this fire, and the rebuilding, is going to blow up our culture here,” Zane said. “I’ve been saying ‘build, baby, build’ since the beginning of this year because of the terrible housing shortage we have, and this is an opportunity to do different types of building.”

Zane said the new Coffey Park should include “grocery stores, dog parks, smarter senior housing, single-family homes, higher-density stuff — everything, so we can choose wisely. Of course we have to respect the homeowners, but I do think a lot of people — particularly the newer generation — are open to something other than this suburban sprawl we are all so stuck in.

“I hope NIMBYism dies right now,” she said.

1 Like

Burning man folks shoukd step up and take their motor homes to Santa Rosa…Afterall they only use them once a year

Like in Puerto Rico, all they needed was some idiot person tossing them paper towels…

I heard on the radio to call xxx number if you lost a home in Santa Rosa. PG&E is going to be sued big time.

Prepare to see a “surcharge” in your PG&E bill…

1 Like

No PGE in South Lake Tahoe

A townhouse identical to mine in the same complex in Santa Rosa just sold for 5% more than before the fire. Listing had only one crappy picture but still went pending in 2 days.

I hope the area got something out of this tragedy. Like a phoenix reborn into something better.

Poor people. Really.

I hope they rebuild, but chances are some are going to say goodbye to that area. I hope not that many, but some are going to be hurt by the replacing costs.

Yeah, it is going to take a long time…