China Sliding Backward

If you badmouthed Xi here on the forum can the Chinese police kidnap you in SF and ship you to China? Because you broke some laws in china?

To study China, you need to look at East Asian countries only. Western countries are not fair comparisons.

In east Asian countries, most of the economic growth happened under dictatorship. Democracy result from enormous economic development. Not the other way around. Don’t reverse cause and effect.

Basically economy grows really fast under dictatorship. When the economy becomes developed, there are 2 possible outcomes.

1. Bad dictator and developed economy: democracy with slowing growth

2. Good dictator and developed economy: continued dictatorship with fast economic growth

Good dictator is the best for economy. Democracy is second. Bad dictator is the 3rd.

Democracy is bad for economy. Efficiency and effectiveness will be lost. Democracy is simply a mediocre middle ground between a good dictator and a bad dictator.

Too many people are brainwashed by media and believe democracy is the reason for economic growth. Totally wrong.

Thank god that USA is not a simplistic democracy!

https://everything2.com/title/The+USA+is+not+a+democracy

USA is a “flawed democracy” :rofl:

Again you got it wrong. SF is not part of China and not subject to Chinese law. HK is part of China and subject to Chinese law.

1 Like

Actually, capitalism is a product of authoritarianism and grew out of dictatorships. This applies to all countries not just East Asia.

Ever heard of “one country two systems”? From some great leader named Deng.

1 Like

And, Ivanka in.

There is definitely a subversion clause under the one country two systems construct. Go read up on that ćŸșæœŹæł• and report back.

Really, SF is not part of China???:grinning:

3 Likes

Here is the Wikipedia entry

Basic Law of HK states clearly mainland law does not apply to HK. There is no such thing as vague as “subversion”.

Oh, one of the men was nabbed in Thailand. So don’t be so sure about hiding in SF.

1 Like

Um
 I would definitely stay away from China if I were to write books against the state. Even SE Asia is too close for comfort. Those booksellers are beyond stupid, and should be penalized for their stupidity.

The Economist has no validity

The Economist is a “flawed magazine”
 :rofl:

I have learned to test this with wifey since she’s from the mainland. Her reaction when I told her was to raise an eyebrow then go no big deal. He’s done a good job, so no reason to kick him out after 2 terms. I think that’s likely the mainstream reaction for any Chinese national

1 Like

Mainland Chinese have never experienced any meaningful “rule by law” systems. Their experience has all been “rule by men”. They just want to make sure the emperor was a good one. Very few would go beyond and see how to improve the underlying system.

1 Like

That’s exactly why we don’t need to fire up and teach them how to live their life and how to run their country.

Actually many Chinese citizens criticize SF’s dirty streets and rundown buildings. I guess SF has made them loving their country even more.

SF has become the democracy killer for the world’s most populous country. Shame on Jane Kim

1 Like

Will change eventually with accelerated wealth accumulation. Taiwan and South Korea are good examples. The problem with Hong Kong is that it’s too close to China (and too small) so it got sucked back in. So it will have to wait to improve along with the rest of the country
 which is still not too bad considering the wealth gap between rich and poor provinces

Before they criticize us they should mind their own pollution and poverty first.

Why are you so obsessed with her? Are you a secret admirer? :thinking: