Dark Side of Silicon Valley

SF has its warts no doubt but when it comes to leading the country and world in new policies and thought, SF has no equal. We aren’t necessarily the first place to do some things, but because of who we are we usually generate much press and attention as if we were the first ones. Are much larger cities like Los Angeles or San Jose known for those things when they really should be? Absolutely not. I don’t even believe New York can match what SF has managed to come out with over the years.

The reality is, people like to remark that SF is overrated, yet more and more people want to come here each day. Why are all the SV techies who can afford to live anywhere wanting to live in the fab 7x7? What do we always say: follow the money. Well, the smart money is certainly not steering away from the city, now is it? Far from it.

[quote=“sfdragonboy, post:41, topic:434, full:true”

SF is overrated.
[/quote]

I agree with you. (Its election season so I thought I would do what politicians do.)

@sheriff,

Action speaks louder than words. Funny how the naysayers are all in SF (regardless of reason)… Didn’t we learn anything: you don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

And I repeat (and others here have said the same). We have nieces, nephews and friends whose kids work in SV and can afford to live anywhere in the Bay Area. Why are they living in SF, so far away and fairly expensive? Yeah, probably because it’s overrated… Nonsense.

Like I said, the only up side is jobs IMO. You can defend SF all you want, but the truth of the matter is everybody has his/her own opinion.

Compare to other global city, SF night life and entertainment scene are crappy. Is better than SV’s suburban though, no surprise :grin:. To Singles and DINKs, SF is preferred over SV. Going forward, many SV’s cities are pressured to have urbanized downtown e.g. Cupertino Main Street cum new Vallco. These two development are within walking distance from Apple Spaceship and have hotels, apartments, restaurants, beverages stores, grocery, departments, children playground, parks, theaters, barbers, spectacles stores, launderette, etc.

2 Likes

I cannot agree more. If I am not tied down with a job here I would not be in the bay area, period.

1 Like

I don’t need to defend SF. The marketplace and renters are doing it for me. Why are the best and the brightest living in SF and commuting all that way to SV for work? This has been happening for a long time now @harriet. Where have you been? My big bro works in Sunnyvale and well over 10 years ago was telling me his young coworkers were living in SF and commuting down for work. When questioned why, it is the same answer: there is nothing to do in the South Bay. Period. Nothing’s changed.

I fear if @sfdragonboy and @sheriff ever meet in person the world will explode. :smile: SF vs SJ, go!

1 Like

I don’t know why you even brought up south bay; I never said I preferred south bay over SF. This is the same argument you have for San Tung’s chicken wings, so I’ll just stop here as it’s useless trying to argue over two different sets of opinions.

Please, San HO will never ever catch SF in world appeal or importance. That is fact.

You have every right to your opinion that the city is overrated, but you would be in the minority. I was just providing solid evidence, not flying saucer or pie in the sky fluff, to show you that your opinion is not shared by many people. At the end of the day, I am just reporting essentially “votes” by the people. I don’t have to say a thing on both counts, but to be fair, I want someone who stumbles on here and knows nothing about either subject, to get an actual fair representation. Believe me, both San Tung and the city are rolling in so much cash and doing so well that they could care less what a few naysayers think.

We have different problems here in La Honda. Got neighbor with a bunch of metal dinosaurs in his yard (like I said before, I have a GOOD HOA). He dresses them up for the holidays - as bunny rabbits for Easter, as Santa’s elves for Christmas, as movie directors when someone was in town making an indy flick. Well, for Halloween he went to great lengths to dress them up as witches about to throw a 4ft high barbie doll into a boiling cauldron. Now the town is a-twitter, the Sheriff has been notified; we’re all on the lookout and have our ears to the ground. Someone stole the barbie.

Wow, crazy stuff. But that is another point for SFHs right? In a condo development, you can’t do this stuff without getting the HOA on your case.

Wait a minute, nobody told me!!!

1 Like

You guys are taking a bit past each other. SF may or may not be overrated, but all the young engineers wanting to live there doesn’t mean it’s the best city in the world, it means it’s the best city commutable to a high paying SV job.

No, wouldn’t living in say San Jose be a much easier commute to that high paying SV job? There are plenty of cities that they could have chosen that are closer but again people have specifically said that they liked the action in the city. They weren’t coerced to say that. It was just a simple question. Why?

That’s what I said. SF is the best city to a high paying SV job. It’s better than San Jose, but not necessarily better than San Diego because you can’t commute from San Diego to your SV job

Again, I am just reporting what young folks have told me for their reasons for living in SF and it is because of the activity up here. Plain and simple. Nothing overrated about it. I have no dog in the fight, people!!! Yes, I love SF. I would love SF with or without the techies!!! I am just saying what drives some otherwise very intelligent people to want to commute so far and pay so much if not for the overall positive attributes of that city for living? Come on, in this age of social media word gets out so fast. If SF totally sucked and was overrated, the Google and Apple shuttles would have stopped a long, long time ago. Yet, here we are, and the shuttles are going full steam ahead…

Saying the same thing yet disagree because of different ways of putting it, amazing.

Just because young folks want to live in SF rather than SV doesn’t imply that SF is cool, it could mean SF is better than SV in terms of entertainment and things to do.

SF is not as good as San Diego from entertainment perspective doesn’t imply that SF is over-rated. Could be both are good.

1 Like

You are thinking too hard on this one, @hanera. The fact is, people who are doing the living and commuting have said it is cooler in the city because there are many more things to do there. Cool to them means exactly that, that there is a lot to do there.

Secondly, I like San Diego but I have never heard that San Diego has more entertainment than SF. Never heard that or read that ever. Please cite one story/survey ever indicating that. In fact, I have heard that San Diego is fairly low key and conservative if anything. A nice zoo does not make a city a great entertainment center by the way…:wink: