Dow Down 666 Points

If you are buy and hold like I am then anytime is a good time to buy in. If you are speculating then I would suggest not to invest your hard earned money into stocks at all and keep it in real estate.

I am planning on buying slowly.DCA

1 Like

DCA only works for people who don’t have enough funds to invest today and have to earn their money to invest tomorrow. If you already have a million dollars sitting in the bank account today then it makes no sense to DCA.

1 Like

I understand you and hanera are long time buy and hold persons. I am still learning and not up to a good level yet.

However,I feel that you need to review/relook your portfolio keeping hold, esp companies like TWTR, TSLA…etc which does not produce real profits.

The basic equation is if company makes profits, the shares are attractive and grow in line with company results.

Here, TWTR and TSLA are going on speculative mode by Mr.Market, even though you are not speculative, but not with strong fundamental growth. Such holding, IMO, will not give you any benefit except temporary speculative run.

IMO, your buy and hold must be like hanera’s AAPL or your Cupertino home. This must be like a geese that lays golden egg over a longer period of time.

1 Like

No. The basic difference between investment and speculation is the length of time you are holding on to an asset. The longer you are holding on to it, the less the speculative nature. The volatility nature of the asset itself has nothing to do with it. There is such a thing as investing even in highly volatile assets like bitcoin. If you had held bitcoin for 5 years then you have gained tremendously.

If you are only willing to buy and hold low risk assets such as gold or bonds, then your long term return will reflect that, giving you very mediocre returns.

So, the trick to make a lot of money is really to do the very opposite of what you have suggested: it’s to buy and hold highly risky assets for the long term.

1 Like

What about SOXL?

Not looking for long term hold

Really… :rofl:

SPY is below the 100-day. This volatility is crazy after a long time with very little volatility.

I went more into cash with that nice 500 point bump on Monday.

1 Like

:scream: Maybe it’s time to liquidate the stock portfolio and wait for the crash to end. Seems that crash is coming

1 Like

Why don’t you liquidate your real estate portfolio as well and go rent for a while? Seems that the crash will trickle down to housing prices too… :wink:

It did not in 1987

It did in 2008

1 Like

I think it’s a good time to liquidate stock portfolio and buy RE with 50% LTV, make sure the cash flow is positive with 70% of the market rent.

The recent drop is nothing compared with last 8 years of rise, why not harvest your gain almost at the peak and enjoy the stable RE for life?

1 Like

I think it’s a good time to liquidate real estate portfolio and buy stocks with a 100% margin.

We are far from the peak. Do you really want to be mediocre for the rest of your life or do you like lots and lots of money?

Or just sell everything and hide in apple :joy:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/02/08/hide-out-in-apple-when-the-market-is-in-turmoil-bank-of-america.html

So no one buying any stocks today? I bought some FB, GOOG

2 Likes

Yes, buy them when they’re beaten down. You made the right call.

1 Like

Selloff is not done yet

I also bought some SVXY on Monday :sob: