Dropbox IPO?

Redshift can easily get users from AWS. Though snowflake seems to be doing well.

Not sure about no-sql. I think it could die off eventually and be replaced by sql.

Is cliudera struggling? This space is crowded and most companies will die and there might be 1-2 real winner in the end. I doubt Amazon can acquire them

1 Like

Thereā€™s a company called Alteryx. They let you connect to databases in any format and write queries across formats. The license is crazy expensive.

3 Likes

Box had a bad day yesterday (down 23%). I am surprised that Dropbox revenue is much higher than Box for 2017. Maybe buy opportunity for Box?

1 Like

A good analysis on the difference between Dropbox and Box

https://stratechery.com/2018/the-dropbox-comp/

I didnā€™t notice Box went down 23%. Sounds enticingā€¦ Need to look into it.

1 Like

Never figured out why people do not use Google freebie stuff. This company may have better security access than Google which is hard to envision. I think Docu Sign may be more popular.

1 Like

Schools forced students to use Google drive + all its shit.
RE mostly use docu sign.
I use iWork (Numbers, Pages, Keynote) and iLife (iMovie, GarageBand, Photos) suites + preview + iBooks + iCloud.

The lower end tends to be free. Upper end (functionality or storage size) always costs from what I know.

Nowadays, low end productivity and office tools are fairly sophisticated :slight_smile:
The business model has shifted to making money through storage and ads :slight_smile:
For functionality, better to use consumer (free stuffs) and professional (need to pay) grade.

1 Like

Google Docs have been around for what 15 years? Itā€™s still shit. The spreadsheet is a cruel joke. Even basic stuff like cut and paste still doesnā€™t work right. I wonder if there is any dev working on it at all?

1 Like

i will tell you - there must be. they are used heavily internally.

Whatā€™s the biggest google spreadsheet you ever seen? How many rows and columns?

engs donā€™t use spreadsheet much. we like to ā€œwrite design docsā€ mostly, so mostly docs.

1 Like

Google Spreadsheet are wide spread used by investors to maintain their stocks and get it updated using google finance API.

Google Spreadsheet increased the usage when Yahoo finance API was withdrawn.

2 Likes

Even Apple uses excel and not numbers.

1 Like

So Dropbox is debuting tomorrow. What do you guys think about making a quick buck in the first 3 days off this stock? I have seen most tech IPOs in the last 3-4 years have a tendency to spike up and down the first few days and thereā€™s usually an opportunity to make 20-30% in the first few days before initial exuberance subsides.

Want to throw play money at Dropbox with a limit sell at 20% gain?

1 Like
1 Like

SWEs are not engineers really. Who is the joker who started calling softies engineers?
SWEs are pale face softies working in the office. Engineers are tough guys working in the field :rofl:

Call it whatever you want, boss.

1 Like
1 Like

IMHO, not worth buying above $30 today