Earthquake risks (in St. Louis)

Is there policemen on the Bart car? They can have the Bart police to ride the train and also safeguard the station.

But camera would be the best robotic police

You forgot that the cameras donā€™t work on BART. They are just for show.

1 Like

Then fire the people who installed the camera. Or jail the people who are really bad

What, you want REAL cameras? Well, that calls for a fare increaseā€¦

Signed,

Bart Janitor

1 Like

Love this house, check out the wall of doors in picture 22:

ā€œBehind one of these doors is a chest of gold. Behind another, the way out. The third, an alligator, the fourth a lion, and the fifth will drop you to your death in the dungeon.ā€

God, when is the last time someone saw a house of this size in the immediate Bay Area for that price??? 10 years ago? 15?

1 Like

No kidding! We spent last week in relativesā€™ homesā€“5000 sq ft or so. It was luxurious. Iā€™m sooooo done with this cramped space!

PS: One of the kids from the zoned high school competed in the International Math Olympiad. I know itā€™s often the parents, not the school, who support and push it, but I think itā€™s says something about the cohort of kids at the school:

https://www.maa.org/news/us-team-takes-second-at-international-mathematical-olympiad

1 Like

Impressiveā€¦not that I follow this kind of stuff too deeply since I have no skin in the game but donā€™t we always hear that we are way behind the rest of the world scholastically? I suppose one competition is not the end all but still impressiveā€¦

This price is similar to mountain house, half price of dublin, 1/4 of the San Carlos price and 1/8 of Palo Alto price. But 0.74 acre lot is hard to get. It would be a lot of exercise to walk and meet a neighbor!

1 Like

It is absolutely, definitely impressive, and something he should be tremendously proud of. Getting onto the US Math Olympiad team is like an athlete getting onto the USā€™s Olympics teamā€“it requires a lot of raw talent and the motivation to spend hours practicing.

1 Like

Vinyl siding and just a few minutes from Ferguson. ā€¦whatā€™s not to like? ā€¦lol

1 Like

Isnā€™t vinyl siding safer in an earthquake? I envision all the bricks falling next time the New Madrid Fault gets crankyā€¦

What is the advantage of brick sides? Aside from astheticā€¦

Also itā€™s 20 minutes to Fergusonā€¦ Iā€™m less than 20 minutes to EPA and donā€™t tend to worry.

I think he was comparing it to cement board siding. Or natural wood. Cedar.

I lived 5 miles from 8 Mile and it might as well have been 500 miles. The crime magically stops once you go N of 8 Mile. Plus, there was a buffer city in between.

1 Like

Ok. Heā€™s the second person to comment on the siding thoughā€“the other who lives in St. Louis clearly had a preference for brick siding.

Vinyl siding is cheap. It looks cheap. It is cheap to buy. It is cheap to install. It performs cheap (insulation, longevity).
The only positive is that termites donā€™t eat it. Of course that can be said about cement siding or natural cedar siding as well.

Isnā€™t Hardie board the preferred brand of siding (if you are going this route)?

Fair enough.

Separate question thenā€“how is brick in an earthquake prone environment? Should I expect it all to fall to the ground?

JamesHardie is a well known brand. There are competitors with similar products. CertainTeed for example. We used their ā€œstainedā€ shingles on an upscale location once. Expensive.