FANGMANT/ Manificient Seven + NFLX

Depends on your goal. I am checking whether I can do better than passive investing i.e. buy & hold F10. If I can’t despite the amount of knowledge (read tons of books & web articles) & experience (trading for 15 years, though not very active but still…), it means buy & hold is indeed the best.

The speed of climb for AMZN, NVDA, NFLX and TCEHY is ridiculously fast for large market cap.

2 Likes

Your regular updates are very much appreciated. And in this bull run, it does appear that buy and hold for F10 is the best strategy!

Since Aug 28,

F10 … +20.47% :face_with_raised_eyebrow: ATH Incredible
AAPL…+9.67% :grinning: ATH, all sins are forgiven
TSLA…-2.73% :wink: Not bad, good recovery
AMZN…37.97% :roll_eyes: Taking lead again
mCap…-15.15% :blush: Too embarrassing
sCap… +9.32% :slightly_smiling_face: Good but not good enough

1 Like

Why did you break out tsla and amzn but not eg tencent?

AMZN passed Tencent as #1 gainer :slight_smile:

Looks like stocks have even taken over a real estate forum. Personally I think this is bullish for Real Estate. Nobody is talking about it… Uber drivers and bar tenders are only talking bitcoin and stocks…

4 Likes

Have to do something while you save up for the next down payment. RE is sorta boring. I get a check the 1st of every month. The property goes up in value. There’s not much action to it. Next action will be buying another property which isn’t a regular thing the way trading stocks is.

1 Like

Many people trade stocks for fun, not for money. Stock is not the best place to make money

I think most regular people still don’t own much in stocks. Even if they do many wisely go the ETF route. I am anxiously looking for signs of slowdown due to tax reform, although I don’t think there will be any.

Maybe after Amazon announces their pick for HQ2, there will be a feeding frenzy there. Hope it’s not Austin. :smile:

I want to invest more in stocks, but my wife won’t let me. She thinks it’s pure gambling… probably what makes it fun. RE is safer but much harder work…

Surprise your wife by putting 1M into bitcoin! :smile:

I would rather put a million into a strip club… would piss her off less and a lot more enjoyable… lol

2 Likes

My wife’s friend is a vegan stripper. Soon to become a Breathian… I will open a Breathian Strip club…

Quote:

We are talking about animals not plants but the answer is: plants are living creatures too and should not be killed and consumed although since they have lower consciousness than animals, it is considered smaller sin to eat them so that is why we spiritual people fast and try to transition to breatharian lifestyle which is very hard to achieve as it requires reaching high godly consciousness stage​:heart: . Some Indian gurus are this way. Longest I fasted was 3 weeks. Breatharian means living on air only , not eating any animals, plants nor consuming water. I am on level of raw vegan plant diet at this stage. There are levels of consciousness so according to the spiritual teachings you are on primitive level of eating animal flesh :joy::rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue: but still one higher than canibalism eating humans which is the worst lowest level. I dont judge, I respect your diet too and hoped to share some insights in a playful inspiring way since you asked. Enjoy the T- bone whatever that is ! :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: You should try vegan food, so healthy and shows compassion to animals , creatures who depend on our mercy​:heart:

“the top 20 percent of Americans owned 92 percent of the stocks in 2013.”

Also, 48% of adults own zero stocks. They don’t even have any mutual funds, 401k, IRA, etc.

https://www.npr.org/2017/03/01/517975766/while-trump-touts-stock-market-many-americans-left-out-of-the-conversation

1 Like

Breathian stripper? Wow, learned something this week…

Costs more money to buy more rental properties which I don’t have unless I switch around. Easy to invest in stocks. Husband introduced me into stocks almost 25 years ago.

Last two years have been a crazy bull market, yet some funds are losing money.
David Einhorn: Value investing isn’t dead, it’s just out of favor

Greenlight Capital fell 1.6% in the fourth quarter, bringing the fund’s year-to-date returns to 1.6%. Meanwhile, the S&P 500 (^GSPC) gained 6.6% in the fourth quarter, ending the year up 21.8%.

1.6%? A hedge fund? Does that mean meguro (38.5%), wuqijun (38.7%) and manch (3x) qualify to start a hedge fund?

The fund’s biggest losers in 2017 included its so-called “bubble basket,” which consists of short bets against high-flying momentum stocks including Amazon (AMZN), Netflix (NFLX), Tesla (TSLA), and athenahealth (ATHN).

Huh? Short those stocks?

“Given the performance of certain stocks, we wonder if the market has adopted an alternative paradigm for calculating equity value,” Einhorn wrote in a letter to investors dated October 24. “What if equity value has nothing to do with current or future profits and instead is derived from a company’s ability to be disruptive, to provide social change, or to advance new beneficial technologies, even when doing so results in current and future economic loss?”

Is he right or merely rationalizing his failure?

Absolutely. Give me your hard earned money to invest. It’ll be in good hands… :rofl:

You rarely make money shorting during a bull market. That’s investing 101. If you do have a short position, it should only be a hedge.

I think we have it easier. They manage billions. There are things they simply can’t buy, because it’d cause too big of disruption in the price. They wouldn’t be able to sell for the same reason. I can easily liquidate any position in seconds. They can’t.

Hedge funds had much better returns when they were in the $250M-$500M AUM range. They could be far more nimble. Regulation made it impossible to run a hedge fund that size, because 2% wouldn’t cover the cost of regulation compliance. So hedge funds got bigger and the returns got smaller.

1 Like

If I recalled correctly, he thinks the bull market is long in the tooth (currently at the ninth year, might be the longest post-war, need to verify) so he shorted some bubble stocks (like AMZN) and sold over-valued stocks (like AAPL). The raging bull makes a fool out of him. No need to look far, many here don’t believe in stocks, hence missed out nearly 40% gain that meguro and wuqijun made last year. Anyone who own Fang, ant and bat saw their net worth boom boom boom. Even manch who claim to believe in RE only made a killing of 200% gain last year, can’t be done in RE even with leverage.