Flip Example in San Jose

I sold a SFR on 2858 Chromite Dr, Santa Clara 95051 in 2010 for $600k. (Bought for $392k at trustee sale, new kitchen, paint and new lawn, sold $600k, all in 4 months)
Yesterday someone sent me a link to a same size house, just around the corner from Chromite, listed for a “low” price, supposedly sold for $1800k.

Tripled in 7.5 years? NUTS!

2 Likes

I bet all us flippers wish we never sold a one.

1 Like

But how are you going to come up with more money to buy if you never sold? You win some you lose some… don’t be so hard on yourself… :rofl:

1 Like

yeah, that’s another story. I wish I had had access to long-term financing.

Now, prices going up 3-fold in such a short time… seems excessive. Most of my flips from 2010/2011 have doubled in value since then. Maybe factor 2.2x.
In Santa Clara, possibly someone overpaid – it does happen. I did not disclose the address because the MLS shows it still as pending.

1 Like

That’s why it’s important to own rentals and not just doing all the flipping. Rentals should be your core; flipping should only be used operationally to increase your cash flow so that you can buy more rentals.

2 Likes

My worst case scenario was I built a new spec house in 1989 in Menlo Park. Paid $1m plus a lot of sweat blood and tears…
Sold it in 1995 for $950k.
It sold recently for $4m… wish I kept that one…

which one was it, to get a sense of your taste (for a ~30 yo home, of course)?

PM . I chose anonymity here. It was a Colonial style
I like traditional styles. That is one reason why I retired. Not interested in building mid century modern.
Prefer Craftsman and Mediterranean styles
My last spec house was Hamptons inspired… right up your alley. I sold it to an 85 year old. I am not trendy…

tomato <3 colonial. Everytime i pass by one, i admire the beauty. same goes with craftsman, but more interested in colonial.

haha, east hampton style is also good.

I think i am also very traditional man :slight_smile:

Time to brag about island?

That’s a lot of pomeloes…

The great thing about traditional is that 30 year old Menlo Colonial looks better today than when it was new.
Shake roof. Marvin true divided light windows. Real brick fireplace not an insert… Built old school… I was trained by traditional carpenters. Real wood floors. Mud set tile. Smooth wall cat 5 walls… buyers today have no idea about old world craftsmanship…

Now, i need an island like this…

@hanera Yeah right, Give me 30 more yrs please :slight_smile: I will buy a real one (island). Like the one in @tomato’s pic

I appreciate everything you said :slight_smile: To me american houses has always been colonial or craftsman, until i came to bay area to be disappointed :slight_smile:

I pm’ed you.

Preferred virgin beach and blow hole :hugs:
Visit Tasmania :slight_smile:
USVI-Attractions

blowhole-in-bicheno-01

Islands are overrated. I much prefer big cities to empty beaches.

Why don’t we have both? A private island you can completely disconnect from the rest of the world, and a city for the remainder of the time.