For Those Of You Who Have Not Bought A Home In The Bay Area Yet

What’s your game plan?

It’s November 2017, and we know bay area home prices are not coming down for a long time. There really is no bubble to speak of. There is an upward trend that will persist indefinitely because Silicon Valley is a micro-climate.

If you haven’t bought a house yet, what are you planning on doing.and what’s your game plan? Our budget is probably $900k. For that money I could get a new townhouse in SJ. Or get a starter single family home in San Ramon.

I do want to make appreciation like everyone else has. But I also don’t want to get caught up in the congested busy life. Thinking of Seattle or another city where the ship hasn’t sailed yet…

Thinking of Seattle or another city where the ship hasn’t sailed yet…

Only somebody who hasn’t been to Seattle for quite a while would say this. Amazon growth has Seattle busting at the seams. Traffic is horrendous. Good luck on finding that affordable housing.

3 Likes

This guy sounds like somebody already posting on this forum. But that’s just me. :smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:

I tried to defend him or give him some hope, but I was laughed at. :sweat_smile:

If you have kids, go and buy a SFH in Fremont and watch it go up in value. Schools are decent and or on the rise and you should be able to buy something decent for 900K.

Yes, I am aware that even in Seattle things have gotten pricey. Spent some time on Redfin and checked the prices out.

I’m just saying before you go shopping in Seattle, spend some time up there. Bay area traffic is relative paradise, imho.

Btw, Southwest Airline has a deal on their credit card for California only. If you get it using the companion pass referral link, then after your first purchase you get a free companion pass that works for all flights during 2018 (not just a single flight). Plus they give you 40k miles after you spend $1k, which is enough for about 4-5 round trips to Seattle for you (and your free companion).

I had been there in Vancouver, WA. In Seattle, we may more have rainy days. If some one is ready to accept such a dull climate, it is fine.

Compared to Bay Area or Los Angeles, Seattle year-round climate is dull.

Move out of the state to a place where hedgehogs are legal to own, and marijuana isn’t.

Ok, see ya in Singapore whenever I am over there visiting the bro-inlaw…

1 Like

Or Japan!

Yes, you guys have what, 90 days of rain every year. Seattle does seem like a logical move from the Bay. Willing to take a beating on the weather in order to buy. Vancouver is too beautiful. But insanely pricey. I visited this year for the first time. Saw a bunch of residences but no companies. It’s just foreign money.

1 Like

Where is our reporter @marcus335 to chime in on his home of choice now?

Ok, @marcus335, stop it with the pro gun data for a sec and help @BayAreaGuy.Com out…

1 Like

Man, just checked out Fremont for $900k. Glorified shacks at that price point I tell you. Think I’d rather get a new townhouse for $850k. At least you have some quality of life living in new construction. But yeah, Fremont could be an option.

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, 900K simply does not go far around here you know (especially if you want semi decent schools, some yard, low crime, etc.).

1 Like

I moved to Seattle in January. $900k is a really good budget here. You can buy a craftsman in the city or get 2,000+ sq ft in the suburbs. It just depends on what preferences and needs are. Traffic on I-5 is terrible most of the time including weekends. I don’t know anyone that took a pay cut for moving here, and there’s no state income taxes. The big employers have company busses just like the Bay Area.

You can also live on an island and take the ferry. There’s also the sounder train which drops off in sodo district. It goes pretty far north and south. Some companies have shuttles that pickup at the sodo station. Light rail is expanding. Right now, it really only goes south. It’s eventually going east across lake Washington.

2 Likes

Where is your work location? Choose the home nearest to your work location. If possible, with your limited funds, try to get SFH so that you do not move out later.

I had a friend who was eligible for 1.4M (with 20%), but wanted to be very safe in mortgage, got a TH for 650k ! In three years, he is trying to get an SFH, but unable to get one.

That already sounds better than the bay area. What are the up and coming neighborhoods that are not directly in the heart of the city?

1 Like

Issaquah is getting really popular. I’m bullish on Bellevue E of 405. Sammamish is a nice area to raise a family.

1 Like