Former YouTube Recruiter Alleges Discrimination Vs. White & Asian Men

OMG, I have never heard of this!!!

3 Likes

Wilberg alleges that in April 2017 he was told to cancel all interviews for junior and mid-level software engineering positions, except for those with applicants who were female, black or Hispanic, and to “purge entirely any applications by non-diverse employees from the hiring pipeline.”

Wilberg’s lawsuit more generally describes a company that moved erratically in its attempts to hire more women and minorities. “Google used Weekly Recaps to track the number of hires who were ‘Female,’ ‘Black,’ and ‘LatinX,’” and had quarterly hiring quotas for engineers, the suit alleges.

Wilberg alleges attempts to cover up those hiring practices. “Google on occasion would circulate e-mails instructing its employees purge any and all references to the race/gender quotas from its e-mail database in a transparent effort to wipe out any paper trail of Google’s illegal practices,” the lawsuit states.

By law, it is illegal to discriminate against any race and any gender. So this suit seems to be valid.

But this employee would get nothing if Google is proved to discriminate against White and Asian males. Of course, people might donate to help him cover the legal cost if his claim is true.

Is he filing the suit for public good?

Can google legally fire him based on his disagreement over company’s illegal discrimination policy?

There are some people who discriminate against “latinos”.

Why do they worry about others doing the same?

This is affirmative action gone wrong.

[quote=“BAGB, post:4, topic:4311, full:true”]
By law, it is illegal to discriminate against any race and any gender. So this suit seems to be valid.

No, it’s only illegal to discriminate against a protected class. White males under 40 are not protected.

Really? I am not aware of any law saying that white male under 40 can be discriminated against.

You can not discriminate against someone that is in a protected class. The protected classes are age over forty, gender, religion, creed, color, and sexual orientation. If you are not in one of those classes your employer or prospective employer does not have to give you a reason for his actions towards you, especially in an “at will” state like California. So while the law does not say you can discriminate against them, it is the only class that it doesn’t say that you can’t discriminate against.

I self-identify myself as a 45 year old black lesbian Muslim woman. I might not look like my identity but that’s how I truely feel inside. And I will note that in my resume the next time I apply for a job at Google… :blush:

2 Likes

Who goes to men’s bathroom. To check one more box. :smile:

He is legally blind. Can’t tell the difference between the picture nor the words nor the symbols. The toilet should instal a voice activated sensor that speaks… otherwise is discriminatory… we need to organize a demo against such discriminatory practices.

1 Like

I think a white male under 40 can still bring a discrimination case against Google, so can an Asian male under 40. The civil equality law says that it protects all races and all gender. It’s just that a case law for these “unprotected group” is not established yet.

This particular case can be interesting and could lead to the discrimination cases involving white and Asian male of all ages.

University of Michigan and University of Texas both lost lawsuits over admissions policies that favored minorities. They were forced to make admissions blind to race and gender. Both schools lowered the bar for minority applicants to increase diversity. I went to an info event for UofM’s MBA program. They must have mentioned at least 6 times that they encourage all women to apply no matter what their test scores or GPA were.

This is about a business in Oakland but it still applies.

Under Federal Law, businesses can refuse service to any person for any reason so long as they aren’t discriminating against them for belonging to a protected class, such as race, color, religion, national origin, disability, and in some states, sexual orientation.

That discrimination law is BS. It makes it perfectly acceptable to discriminate against white males. If we care about discrimination, then it should be illegal.