Good dividend stocks

Doing some end of the year planning. I can either pay down a chunk of the mortgage on my primary or invest it in something safe and dividend paying (not Bitcoin, Dodgecoin, Litecoin, Ethereum, …) and try to arbitrage the return vs paying down of mortgage.

Any recommendations on relatively stable stocks that pay decent dividend and are liquid? obviously i am willing to take a little risk over paying down of debt, but not too much as this would be my mortgage paydown money.

2 Likes

AAPL is your friend.

1 Like

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Signed,

Mr. Austin

1 Like

Dividend stocks

100k Passive Annual income

Have about 20 stocks of almost equal weightage in the dividend stock portfolio. The goal is to achieve a passive income equals to the annual expenses (excluding income tax). The criteria is safety rather than appreciation of the stock price & stability of dividends. The idea was conceived before Apple starts distributing dividends. Now that Apple distributes dividends, its purpose is redundant but didn’t bother to dismantle it, just don’t add. Mostly defensive stocks in the portfolio such as RSG, WM, VZ, PG, JNJ, PCG, AEP, and AWK.

1 Like

Aren’t you there already.

AAPL, BA, CSCO, DE, GILD, MO, JNJ, SYF, PG,VZ,T

I own some of these, holding this year, gettig some good dividends.

BTW: I have a list of 108 dividend stocks to watch, but here are the short listed done.

You keep the dividends or reinvest?

1 Like

Keep those dividends and pay margin interest with them; and use the margin to invest more.

Checkout the MCA munibond fund. If you truly want interest rate arbitrage, it’s the way to go.

Is it enough to cover?

I do not reinvest, but use it as this low taxed automatically. These are qualified dividend companies, unlike REITs or LLPs, taxed at 15% (or 23.88%).

It has to. Unless you want to pay out of pocket.

Also, the good thing about this is that the margin interest can offset the dividend income come tax time so essentially you are paying no tax on the dividends.

1 Like

What’s not mentioned in all of the above: oil stocks.

Also have CVX and OXY. Also, DE and CAT. What else?

BP, COP, XOM, and many more.

Oil stocks are not going to skyrocket in near future, esp next year.

Second, they are all non-qualified dividend treatments, added as income (higher tax rate) instead of taxed at 15% qualified dividends.

That is the main reason I have not listed even though BP, XOM and CVX are great ones.

1 Like

@BA_lurker mentioned stable and liquid so that was why I threw oil out there. Didn’t know about the non-qualified dividend treatment so that’s good to know! I bought oil stocks in my Roth IRA account a while back so really have no clue on the exception on their tax treatment :slight_smile:

Are you sure? They are not MLPs.

Harriet,
Was referring what other categories you want to know.

Just for disclosure sake, full list:
AEP
DUK
PCG
AWK
AWR
T
VZ
RSG
WM
COST
CLX
KMB
PG
JNJ
TPR
CVX
OXY
BHP
CAT
DE
POT
OHI
SBRA

23 stocks. Would sell all sometime in the future.
Didn’t bother to follow the news about them, so no point keeping.

If they are not MLPs, then it is likely qualified dividends.

Here is the negative issue.

1. BP payout ratio is 200%, means they are paying from reserve and payout exceeds profit.

2. XOM payout ratio is 99%

3. CVX payout ratio is 125%

And the whole oil industry is struggling as of now when economy is in full swing. Oil industry and Airlines are tough choices.

1 Like

Long term, oil is not good. Alternative energy would continue to improve in efficiency, better technology such as LED use less energy and people are learning to use less energy.

Have changed all the light bulbs to LED :slight_smile:
Exterior Christmas lightings run on solar :slight_smile: