Google engineer's viral 10 page anti diversity screed

No. Google and Facebook are super elite firms. They get the first dip. If even they can only do 20 or 25% the rest of the industry will be much lower.

You can compare the GPA and IQ level of google and Facebook employees. I bet they are also higher than industry average.

1 Like

We are talking about Google policy specifically here. James Damore was talking about Google practice.

Other companies? It’s a secret until there’s another leak.

Without complete and accurate data, it would be a useless discussion. Sometimes people look only at the gender ratio at a company and industry, but they ignore the student gender ratio at the corresponding department at universities. How can you draw any sensible conclusion from inaccurate and incomplete and sometimes manipulated data?

Pure speculation, author didn’t do a rigorous study.

1 Like

Agree. Why is government keep telling a private business what to do? I realize many governments are guilty of social engineering, can’t they focus on things that matter like national security and maintenance of justice.

1 Like

It’s a very funny explanation. I see a very weak link between game playing and majoring in CS

My speculation is that the long hours and high stress level scared women from CS. Many women still want to have kids and they do not enjoy high stress and long hours. Men do not enjoy as well, but they leave the child bearing and raising tasks to women.

Now men can get the same amount of parental leave at some companies. But I still think women need more parental leave time after child birth. That’s a biological needs, no amount of social engineering can change that fact. That’s why I think women should get a lot more support before and after child birth. Maybe give them 6 month off prior and 6 month off after. I’m curious why the feminists did not ask for this

Next time my wife met with her former CS classmates (obviously all are female, then only women take CS :slight_smile: ) she would verify your speculation. So far, many of her CS classmates have quitted CS career because they felt too hard to keep up with technology changes.

Funny, Singapore gave plenty of goodies to women. What you propose is called maternality leave. Also, have part-time. Childcare provided by employers. Men are also given 1 week of maternal leave to take care of wife :slight_smile: US government is so reactive, have to wait for feminist movement? No wonder women is now 60% of Singapore workforce. Wonder what is the percentage in US. Many employers in Singapore favor women :slight_smile: because of men have to go for 2-3 years of active National Service and up to 1 month per year of post-NS (called operationally ready).

No, mainly base on ability to answer interview questions and their personality(motivation/willingless to work/learn, do they willing to work OT to complete projects , can the group feel can work with the candidate) etc…

The problem with engineering is you have to laser focus on a very narrow subject…Men are single minded, women are muti taskers…Men naturally do better on a very narrow focued project…Problem is engineering fields change, engineers become obsolete…My wife has a masters degree in petroleum engineering from Stanford…She had a choice go work in a shithole like in Bakersfield, Texas or Alaska or become a software engineer in Silicon valley…She made the transition to software…But it wasn’t her passion and ended up as a product manager at Oracle…Being a muti tasker she made the transition well…Most men would have become frustrated not being able to get a decent job in their field…
Engineering is not a good career for the long haul…Get into management or get out after about 10 years

If that is the case, we should see more female managers and project managers than male.

~50% of gun deaths are suicides. There’s a serious mental health issue that’s not addressed. There are plenty of things that kill more people than gun homicides, but you don’t see nearly the level of political uproar. 3.4 people per 100,000 die of gun homicides. That ranks below fire, drowning, poison, falls, car accidents, and a ton of other reasons.

The only certain difference between a man and a woman is that men have testicles and women have ovaries…

Also, if you want objective proof of the rule of the tyrannical minority in America, then just look at how many places have banned the American flag. They are worried it might harm feelings or incite violence. Yet, it’s perfectly OK to display the flag of Mexico or any other country you want. People can display the gay pride flag. Let’s not display the flag of our country though. That might offend some people.

University of Michigan protested screening “American Sniper” on campus. Some students tried to have it stopped, because they were afraid it’d upset Muslim students. If a movie upsets you, then don’t go watch it. The school wasn’t making it mandatory for students to watch.

Really? Where are the places that banned the American flag?

Supreme court may have to hear a case on banning American flag shirts on Cinco De Mayo. Since it’s OK to wear the Mexican flag but not the American flag.

School suspension for wearing a shirt with the flag

HS bans the flag

Can’t have the flag on your truck either
http://eagnews.org/school-principal-orders-student-to-remove-american-flag-from-truck/

Philly city hall removed all flags while the DNC was in town. One of my friends who’s a Philly cop posted a pic of city hall with no flags the day before DNC started. After they left town, the flags were back up.

1 Like

What’s the reason to ban American flags?

1 Like

Potential to incite violence…

1 Like

So American flag has evolved to be a violence inciting flag?

2 Likes

And your “women don’t like hardware” is not speculation? What rigorous study are you citing?

We are talking about a different stage of the career: why so few women major in CS. Do 18-year-old women foresee they can’t deal with the technology changes in their 30s and 40s?

Most men can’t deal with tech changes either. That’s why they move up to management and leave programming to the kids.

So instead women go to medical schools and law schools? Because sitting in front of a computer and feeding on free snacks is so much more stressful than saving lives in ER and arguing a court case in front of a judge? If so I want to know which tech company you are working at.

I would prefer medical and law career over tech career. Tech is so volatile. Medical and law provides more stable careers so you do not need to worry much.

The best students go to medical and law. It might be a little easier for women to get into top medical and law schools. Many engineers are failed medical school applicants