Google engineer's viral 10 page anti diversity screed

That’s the Whatboutism again. Do we need to cure cancer before we deal with guns? Because potentially more people die from cancer than from guns? So you rank death causes from most deadly to least, and until we completely eradicate the most deadly we never bother to look at others?

By the way, it seems corporate tax rate is lower now than 20 years ago. Because gun violence is lower now than 20 years ago and therefore it’s fine, by the same logic we shouldn’t bother with lowering taxes.

Obviously is my opinion, not obvious?

If I’m not wrong, women are supposed to be matured earlier which mean they probably find out more what could happen later than men does at that age group.

Don’t shoot the messenger.

“Sixty percent of women who have a bachelor’s degree from prestigious institutions such as MIT and Harvard work full time”

You wonder why there’s less women working in tech. It seems 40% of the women most qualified to do it don’t work full-time. It seems the more prestigious the school the less likely a woman is to work full-time. Just think of all that lost work force productivity. However, you can’t force women to work. If staying home is best for the family, then they are free to make that choice.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2013/05/26/women-graduates-elite-colleges-more-likely-opt-out-workforce/wQAmXRV9WMWtFKph26ORBM/story.html

So given a choice, more than 40% of women choose to not work, many women have to work.

Given a choice, many men may also not work, and they also may not stay home to raise kids.

To encourage more women to work, we need to reduce tax rate

1 Like

This is from the National Science Foundation:
https://www.nsf.gov/nsb/sei/edTool/data/workforce-07.html

Women’s presence among computer/ mathematical scientists declined from 31% to 25% over the period, but only because men’s rate of growth in this area was higher than women’s. The number of women working in computer/mathematical sciences nearly doubled between 1993 and 2010.

(Main finding was: Women with college degrees remain underrepresented in S&E occupations, although less so than in the past. Except in computer/mathematical sciences, women have increased their proportion in each broad occupational group since the early 1990s.)

1 Like

Women pioneered computer programming. Then men took their industry over.

I’m a woman in computer science. Let me ladyspain the Google memo to you.

I’m An Ex-Google Woman Tech Leader And I’m Sick of Our Approach To Diversity

Data Reveals Gender Gap in CS at Harvard

Study: Middle School is key to Girls’ Coding Interest

Why mobile gamers are mainly women, while most PC and console gamers are male

Why the STEM gender gap is overblown

Percentage of Bachelor’s degrees conferred to women, by major (1970-2012)

Why women are poor at science, by Harvard president

When Women Stopped Coding

Colleges have increased women CS majors: What can Google Learn

Why is it that women are seen as less competent?

Female coders better than men, but perceived as worse

Men have always used science to explain why they’re better than women

Gender bias - fact or fantasy?

Why are there so few women in tech? The truth behind the Google memo

Anatomy of an enduring gender gap: The evolution of women’s participation in CS

Women in the workplace: A research roundup

In tech, the wage gender gap worsens for women over time, and it’s worst for black women

Dispelling Myths about female gamers

Gender gap in university admissions rises to record level

We’ve studied gender and STEM for 25 years. The science doesn’t support the Google memo

Has employment of women and minorities in S&E jobs increased?

1 Like

Information overload…

Knowledge is power. Need to examine all perspectives to an issue.

I have read many (not all) of the above articles you posted, and it seems that there is much evidence against the idea of women having “biological” characteristics causing them to forego careers in STEM fields. Would you agree, based on what you have read, @hanera? After all, if there were any solid scientific proof (not self-reported data from psychological studies) of what James was implying, you would think that he would have used it in his writeup.

Agree there’s value in understanding different perspectives. In fact, it just occurred to me that my mother, who worked as a computer programmer, was originally in Biochemistry (she got her Masters in Kentucky). In this way, she may share something in common with James. However, unlike James, she did not do it for the “fun” of computers and took a pay cut. It was a sacrifice she made in order to reduce her commute time and take care of family since we were living closer to where my father was working. Both parents tried hard to push me into computers, I believe, because STEM was the ticket to a steady livelihood in their eyes. And it may have been, in their particular cases.

1 Like

Google Fired James Damore, But All 25 Finalists In Its Code Jam Coding Competition Are Men

If only one woman made it through Google’s rigorous coding competition over 14 long years, it would lend credence to James Damore’s viral memo in which he’d said that men end up occupying higher positions in engineering and technology through a combination of innate ability and interest in the subject.

1 Like

Really? You can’t think of any other possible reasons?

What I believe II (ft. Sarah Constantin and Stacey Jeffrey)

Sarah Constantin completed her PhD in math at Yale.
I think the Google memo was largely correct, and the way people conventionally talk about women in tech is wrong.

Stacey Jeffery …completed her PhD at University of Waterloo, and has done wonderful work on quantum query complexity…
I don’t think Google was right to fire Damore…the main argument I encountered was that what he said just sounded way too sexist for Google to put up with… But that’s not because he necessarily said anything actually sexist or actually racist, but because he said the kinds of things that you usually only hear from sexist people…

1 Like

Google code jam results over the years.

No finalists from South Korea. No one from Britain or France. No one from Singapore.

So one can conclude people from these countries lack innate ability or interest in computers.

1 Like

@hanera, seems like the more you examine the issue, the more confused you get… :rofl:

Code jamming is for the ultimate geeks. You don’t need ultimate geeks to work in a normal programming job.

There are thousands of competitive swimmers in the world. Less than 50 swimmers can win the Olympic gold medal.

Does that mean less than 50 people should swim competitively???

Similarly, many women can do well at programming without the need to win any code jamming contest…

Shooting the messenger? Those are the opinions of the authors. I only know something change since 1980s with the introduction of PCs and no1 gave a good enough answer to the why.

1 Like

What these 2 women PhD said seem reasonable. Sarah and Stacey are not sexists against women.

Firing is wrong. There’s no evidence he’s a sexist

1 Like

From what I gather, Google is forced to do so because a ton of sensitive women protested and didn’t go to work on the following Monday after the memo is leaked to the general public. The memo was written more than a month ago, and the intended audience is the diversity group (not the general public), and James is still with the company before the leak so we can speculate with some confidence that management has ignored it as a submission by an ambitious naive junior SWE. Usually this type of behavior is tolerated for junior since they are still green with office politics.

Now is a trying time for Sundar Pichai, let see how good is his political skills. Larry Page is conveniently absent.

Larry Page of course will be absent. Sundar will be the scapegoat in case anything goes wrong. He will then fire Sundar and hire someone else. I love Page’s position!!!

Despite the poll that shows a majority of google employees think he shouldn’t have been fired. We are ruled by the tyrannical minority. They get loud and bully their way to get what they want. You can write anything negative you want about men or white people, and there’s zero consequences.

You can go to a bar and order an Irish Car Bomb. How offensive is that? Yet, you see zero protests or efforts to rename the drink. People forget the Irish were the first slaves. They were murdered based on religion for years.

By who? By tyrannical minority in your definition or by other white men?