Google engineer's viral 10 page anti diversity screed

I approve!!!

Dr Dao

Google may not be able to fire him based on this article.

Problem is how google can make sure this guy can have a safe work environment. If many employees make it impossible for this guy to function, refuse to work with him, will google be liable? Is Google responsible for protecting this guy from a hostile environment?

I think it’s a hot potato now. The whole country will watch over this. This can become a national poltical event

Really… no I don’t think he deserves any settlement check here…

In a private company, you pretty much can be fired for any reason. Yes, something PC will be drummed up by HR and he will unfortunately be gone. You can’t have a Colin Kaepernick type situation in your workplace without it causing major issues…

What kind of diversity? Sex? Sexual orientation? Race? Nationality? Political worldview? Economic viewpoint? Intellectual diversity? College? Place of birth? Habits? Mannerism? Look? Age?

The policy is more about gender and race

Why different gender and race can benefit a workplace? I view intellectual diversity helps more than all other kind of diversity. Physical and physiological differences don’t matter as much.

Only about gender not race.

Don’t know about gender but I’m pretty sure race does not benefit the work place. Why? Because look at a Chinese company like Alibaba… not much racial diversity at all but absolutely killing it.

1 Like

More than half of Google’s customers are women. Having more women in the teams helps Google provide better products. At least avoid the mistakes of offending women.

You only need to look at this particular engineer to see what kind of reputational harm it can do.

Same thing for racial. Let’s say you are interested in the Indian market. Do you just assemble an all white team to tackle it? You don’t want someone of that ethnic background to tell you at least how to not offend the Indians?

I have said that before. China’s internet companies can’t compete globally because China is a mono-racial country. They are lucky that their own market is humongous so that doesn’t really matter. But they can never create a Facebook or Google. They can’t even do an Amazon that operates in all continents.

1 Like

Right. Employment contracts are “at will”. You can be fired for not taking a shower and stinking up the office.

Then ensure 50:50 gender diversity in customer relations, product design, sales, marketing and media relations. Also, 50:50 on the board, ahem :smiley:

Companies all employed local MD :smile:, general and regional managers.

Absolutely not true. Toyota has a major market in America but their core team is entirely Japanese. Just because a company lacks racial diversity does not prevent it from penetrating an economy dominated by another race.

1 Like

(Note to self: do not chance it and bring that durian dish to the office for Tuesday lunch…)

Huh? They are too busy making money in China, domestic market is so big that they need not have to worry about foreign markets except to show people like you that they can. There are a few global Chinese manufacturers e.g. Hua Wei. Alibaba has started moving out of China recently. Are you reading too many news? Don’t believe those journalists and media. Their logic are mostly flawed and twisted to achieve an agenda.

Good example. I feel manch is influenced by American media.

1 Like

@manch is a very PC person. Always voicing his support for women and racial minorities. I haven’t seen him saying much about other oppressed groups but I bet he’s also a supporter of gay rights and muslims. I know many people working in SV who are like that.

Toyota lets Americans manage the US operation. They created a whole American division with its own CEO. Honda is making English the official language by 2020. Every high level meeting will be held in English.

Alibaba tried to get into the American market. Tencent has been buying game studios around the world. They want to be global. Why not? But so far they aren’t.

Chinese market is huge. No doubt. But given the choice of course you want a bigger market. Wake me up when Americans start using WeChat en masse. As a shareholder I would be thrilled.

Legally, political view is not protected at work. So employer can hire or fire based on political view.

But with the freely flowing information on the Internet, I guess Google may not fire this guy since it already says that it wants to promote political diversity. It would create a big opportunity for conservatives if this guy is fired

“In some states, including New York and California, bosses can influence their workers’ votes only within limits and cannot discriminate based on employees’ political activities or beliefs unless it interferes with their work. Government workers tend to enjoy more free speech in the workplace.”

I think Chinese companies are still in their infancy. Give it time. Some of them will no doubt become global powerhouses.

1 Like

Equal employment is a mandate. Does gender equality prevent companies from favoring one gender in its hiring and promotion decisions?

With this incident, google’s internal policy may be scrutinized. Is the priority on certain gender/race legal?