Gun Control

The $3 million/yr figure is misleading.

The NRA had over $54 million in outside spending in the 2016 federal elections, making it one of the top-spending groups.

https://www.opensecrets.org/outsidespending/detail.php?cmte=National%20Rifle%20Assn&cycle=2016

General Election Spending - How Successful Were They?

• $14,496,463 spent supporting 44 candidates who won
  • $34,467,618 spent opposing 19 candidates who lost
  • $51,854,687 total spent in general election on 86 candidates

Success rate

• by candidate: 73.3%
  • by money: 94.4%

After seeing these figures for myself, I’m not surprised that elected officials are weak-kneed about going up against the NRA.

Not too much into politics, so didn’t know what outside spending was. Learned something new. For others who don’t know what outside spending is:

The term “outside spending” refers to political expenditures made by groups or individuals independently of, and not coordinated with, candidates’ committees. Groups in this category range from conventional party committees to the more controversial super PACs and 501© “dark money” organizations.

5 Likes

They spent 1/10th if whatever ActBlue is. What is their rank in spending? They don’t show up on the list of top PACs.

Somebody, is trying to deflect the fact that right now, at this minute, as in no other civilized country in the world, Americans are being killed in a daily basis by the abundant availability of guns on the hands of honest and criminal people. Kids shooting each other, gangs, spouses, grandkids shooting their grand m/pas, cops changing clothing or taking a shower while their kids are around which allows them to play
well, like cops, etc.

Man! I wouldn’t defend an organization for the sake of not admitting I am wrong, never the less supporting an organization that has blood on its hands. This organization is like the Russian politburo in America. It scares, threatens, and bribes the minds of politicians and people in general. The Us lives under the mantra of the ugly, bad, opportunistic government, which by the way is being bribed and paid for by the same NRA.

I brought here, the memes of Reagan and a conservative judge telling it as it is. What else do you want? A punch in the nuts? Are you that dense? That cold of spirit? Are you a narcissist? Or
you are a Russian bot. :crazy_face:

Looks like they’re ranked 8 for outside spending.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=d000000082

Outside spending goes beyond conventional PACs, it sounds like. From the above definition I quoted, “groups in this category range from conventional party committees to the more controversial super PACs and 501© “dark money” organizations.”

2 Likes

Is it me or republicans forgot to follow the steps of Mr. Raygun Reagan?

AK-47s aren’t a sporty thing he said. And people applauded like hell! What happened to those republicans? Sold their souls to the gun industry? You betcha!

This is misleading.

The Australian number you cited is “victim” rate. That’s counting the number of victims in homicides divided by population at the time.

Your American number is “incident” rate. So in the LV case, there were 58 victims, but only 1 incidence.

First problem is you are comparing apples with oranges. Second, and more important problem, is that with guns especially automatic rifles kill many victims for every homicide incidence. Our victim rate is much worse than Australia.

Australian chart:

Data source:

http://crimestats.aic.gov.au/NHMP/1_trends/

3 Likes

If guns get banned then everyone should go walk the least safe parts of Oakland. There’ll be nothing to worry about since guns are illegal.

Di agrees with you

The thing I don’t get is Democrats have had control of Congress the majority of years since 1932. There’s some Republican control and some split control. Why haven’t they ever done more about guns? There are some super blue states like California. Why haven’t they done more to ban guns? California has stricter laws, but they still allow for quite a bit.

Why are the least safe cities overwhelmingly democrat since the 1960’s? They should have the strictest gun laws. Chicago has super strict gun laws, and people get shot all the time.

If I remember very well, the majority in congress has been for the last 6-7 years under the control of the republicans. And look at them! Now, after beaching for anything, any legislation to be passed is done in the back rooms with no intervention of any other party. Hell! Putin must be so proud of this system.

Then, unless you are a 5th grader, you would know that in order to do anything about guns you need the consensus from both houses in congress and hell would break loose if the second amendment were to be touched. The NRA would “donate” $ billions if necessary to the majority of republicans to defeat any initiative that would put them out of business

And as I said, you being a child may have forgotten the hell the republicans gave to the latest president Obama, who can be called a real president, perhaps the last dignifying, calm, educated, with a good handle of the English language president because the bar has been set that low, a slimy creature can be elected now.

I call out the stupidity of some people. Numbers, statistics that mislead the public opinion are thrown a day after any mass shooting as if they would palliate the suffering of those burying their dead.

I will repeat it again, I hate, despise, berate, insult, whatever gun nuts and religious prejudiced people and his supporters.

On his “Pass The Salt Live” webcast this morning, Religious Right activist Dave Daubenmire approvingly quoted radical right-wing preacher James David Manning as he proclaimed that “God killed those people” who died in the mass shooting in Las Vegas.

“I love truth,” Daubenmire said. “Pastor Manning said, ‘Hey, we can deny this all we want to but God killed those people.’ He let [the attack] happen, He killed them. And he said, ‘You go back to the Old Testament and you go through that Old Testament all you want to and you know what you’re going to find out? God ordering people to kill people.’ He said, ‘God orders people to be killed.’” <—:scream:

http://uspoln.com/2017/10/10/dave-daubenmiregod-killed-people-vegas-gods-going-killing-lot-people-judgment-god-coming-america/

Let that sink in

Where are the numb nuts defending this crappy idea of guns everywhere?

You ought to be stupid to continue defending such poor and delusional idea.

Uh, @marcus335, you are needed in the ER

1 Like

The brain surgery doctor is ready

You won’t find all the cases where armed citizens stop criminals in the national news. Ask yourself why not? It happens 2.5M times a year according to a study that was trying to prove it doesn’t happen very often.

Maybe you live where people don’t break into homes. If you do have a break in, you’ll be dead long before 911 can get there. We should disarm those citizens, so they are easier targets for criminals? Australia data shows other crime rates increase when you disarm law abiding citizens. Also, the US homicide rate declined more.

So go ahead and explain the scientific rationale for taking away guns. So far all the whole case is the emotional knee jerk reaction that we must do something.

Moderation in all things, Dr @marcus335, including guns

From Washington Post, which isn’t even remotely pro gun.

Those are only mass shootings that were stopped.

I don’t get what you want. You admit different laws wouldn’t have prevented the guy in Vegas from killing a lot of people. What laws do you want and how many of the 13,000 gun homicides would they prevent? Australia’s data shows they don’t have a higher decrease in homicide rate than the US. I’d love to see the the logic behind why different laws would prevent a measurable amount of the 13,000.

Then you have to weigh that vs. the 2.5M crimes prevented by legal gun owners. Plus, there’s the expected increase in other crimes per the Australia data. You’re theoretically trading less murder for more sexual assault, assault, robbery, and burglary. Only you’re not actually getting less murder according to the data, so you’re only getting the increase in other crimes.

Semi automatic rifles and bump stocks out of the hands of the general public. To say that these rifles are used for hunting is laughable

When did I ever say that? I said, ban semi automatic rifles and Vegas killing would not have happened. Come on, how many people could he have killed with a single shot rifle before being caught?

See first response above.

LOL
from the fake news!

This is what I love about the hypocrites, they allege that when you bring a meme depicting reality, it is something you brought to the discussion but shouldn’t be valid because it is not a personal opinion. Then, they grab whatever is from the so called “fake news” to defend their tired, obsolete and delusional ideas that everybody being armed will stop mass shootings. Like that saying about the economy
it’s the guns idiot!

Well, without any further illustration, we have a security guard presumably being at the moment the guy was going to start, or started shooting. Did he stop the killing? NOOOOOO! Why? Because it wasn’t a gun against a gun but a gun against a rapid fire weapon. You know, it wasn’t a musket as the second amendment said. And the guy wasn’t a “regulated militia member, did he?”

Do we get the point of the problem or we keep with our heads in our you know what as some people are doing just now mumbling jumbling NRA statements?

3 more dead today, couple more injured. The numbers keep adding up, and still, nobody can seem to understand an administration so bent on repeating the NRA mantra of calling the mass shooters “mentally ill” but the dumb, idiots, stupid and so on just approved without any discussion the sale of guns to mentally ill people. I bet that mass murderer was one of “my guys” as the dumb president called a fallen soldier just yesterday.

Screw the second amendment. It has been bent to glorify the killing of Americans. More Americans have been killed by guns than combining the wars the US has participated in.