Health Benefits time:How to Get Entirely Tax-Free Retirement Income?

I don’t think you can use HSA money to pay for health insurance premiums

Try getting a Medicare Advantage policy instead of a supplement. I have Kaiser and it costs me nothing other than the part B premium. In Northern California its about $80. Pays for prescriptions too.

Edit: TJH I retired and moved to the San Diego area since you posted last.

1 Like

For COBRA health care premiums, for health care premiums while receiving unemployment or for Medicare premiums after age 65 you can.

I’ll be using COBRA for 18 months after I leave my employer.

1 Like

Thanks sheriff good to know.

San Diego is a great place too!

Enjoy retirement. First leave the BA you can get twice the house for half the price anywhere else… Vegas, Sacramento Tahoe Reno… lots of options…

Wait! You didn’t just say “Vegas”? Say it ain’t so.

No hope of leaving BA now. Wife will never leave now.

Step daughter got divorced and lives a few blocks away. Wife babysits granddaughter one day a week and is ecstatic about it.

I’m not so ecstatic preferring quite over noise and disruption. But, I have to to admit, I love her dearly. She and I baked chocolate chip cookies and planted “magic flower seeds” (CA poppies) last Friday when I was home. She was telling everyone about it afterwards.

I only wish I hadn’t told her they were “magic” flower seeds. People think I might be contributing to the delinquency of a minor when they she tells them that.

I’m actually O.K. with my housing situation. I actually like where I live. Both the town and definitely the neighborhood.

Remember, I went big during the downturn for less than a half mill. And mortgage rate is 3.5%.

I find myself chuckling when I hear others saying they are going to “downsize” into retirement to save money. Downsizing and organizing are overrated. Space is nice. The only downside is heating and cooling costs but, I’m working on taming that monster as well.

Our backyard is resort like and I’m slowly working it into even more that we like with less maintenance. We don’t have to travel to resorts to get away from it all. We can just sit in the backyard, glass of wine in hand and watch the ships go by in the straits.

The SF Bay trail runs by the end of my street if I want to go for a hike.

In fact, that friend that speaks of the Highway 89 solution and I made a pact to get in shape and ride our bicycles around the Bay Trail loop from my house, through Benicia, across the Benicia Bridge, around through Martinez and Crockett and back over the Zampa bridge back to my house. I think it’s an easy 20 mile ride with only a few elevation changes. Now, maybe we’ll get around to doing it.

3 Likes

I actually try to choose Camas, WA - no state income tax (9.3% ca) + portland no sales tax (9.75% ca), almost savings of 20% for retirees. But the issue is dull cloudy/snowy climate which is tough to compromise and decided to stay in bay area forever possible.

Quick question, though it is personal. You do not need to answer if you do not like to answer.

What made you to choose San Diego or how did you decide that location? The reason is San Diego is also almost expensive like bay area in terms of state tax, sales tax and rent or own home. Since you would have paid off evergreen home, with low property tax, it would have been better to stay here, right?

Thanks to prop 13 plenty of BA retirees will stay in the BA.
I just hate the traffic…
Moving to Tahoe was easy and lucrative…Plenty of BA people moving to Sacramento and surrounding exburbs including Tahoe…Others are moving to Palm Springs and Socal…Vegas is also attractive for retirees…lots of gated communities and cheap prices, low taxes plus warm weather…Tahoe works for me…year round resort…inexpensive and plenty of investment rental properties with great appreciation and steady rent increase…

[quote=“Jil, post:107, topic:3448, full:true”]

I chose San Diego County for a couple of reasons. My wife’s daughter lives here. It is also a reciprocal county for seniors regarding prop 13 so I can transfer my tax base as long as I buy a lower priced property. And I was able to buy a replacement property 24 years newer in a better neighborhood for about 180k less, so I was able to eliminate my mortgage.

3 Likes

Excellent and hope you enjoy the new place.

Mainly, you used Propositions 60/90, right?

Yes.

1 Like