Hmm, What Is Apple Doing?

But what if your primary home has a gain of a million? Tax free is only $250/500k. In that case might be worthwhile to convert into a rental.

1 Like

If you never sell, no need to worry about 250/500 tax free gain. Property tax savings over 30-50 years may exceed the 250/500 tax exclusion easily

500k tax free only saves about 150k tax. Minus a commission of 50k, your net savings is only 100k. If you pay 6k less property tax, it’s would save 180k over 30 years.

Never sell is a good strategy if your asset will be less 5.5M when you die. If it’s over 5.5M, you can probably give away houses to people earlier

1 Like

Keep in mind the “never sell” theory is fine if you have kiddies but for us folks with no kiddies you want to sell eventually or convert it to say your primary home to take a bite out of the capital gains. I love UCLA but I don’t love it that much (my buddy told me last night his daughter is eating extremely well in the dorms, we never had it so good…)

You can cash out and spend as much as you want. When you rise to the heaven, you can still let your sibling’s kids to inherit your properties, if there’s still any equity left. :watermelon:

You can also adopt a well behaving adult as your daughter or son, saving all the hard work and enjoy the elder care they will give to you :pizza:

I only get $250K tax free gain. What’s good with that? Not worth the hassle.

Well, I can fix that by becoming Mr. Harriet…

Love,

Chris

1 Like

https://www.forbes.com/sites/onmarketing/2017/10/12/why-the-iphone-x-branding-might-damage-total-iphone-sales

Put simply, there seems a genuine possibility that we are witnessing a rare marketing misstep by Apple. The potential problem is that the allure of the X dramatically weakens demand for the 8 and 8 Plus, and with the X itself rumored to be in scarce supply, total iPhone unit sales might actually be lower than if the iPhone X was not in the lineup at all.

First thing I want to know is whether it is from Forbes. Forbes always put up negative pieces on Apple so can ignore the article if somehow related to Forbes.

When I tried to purchase iphone 8 plus at Portland, I able able to see it was available for 2 days (out of 7 days). I booked one phone and then informed my friend to book his one in 10 minutes. He could not get as it was not available in any stores. This happened within 10 minutes duration at around 9 PM PST. Online booking completely locked all orders.

We waited two days later, until new lot was released, and then I booked another one and he could get his one.

With all these, they are meeting the weekly sales figures as I see some specific iphone models (mainly 64 gb) are not available.

Apple has got big supply chain network, with 500 of apple stores, Major telephone providers (ATT&Verizon like), samsclub, costco and other resellers.

Compared to iphone 6 plus, current iphone 8 plus is too good in terms of performance and functionality.

IMO, Both current and next quarter, apple will be doing fine - as per their expected results. If there is some positive surprise, that is a clear bonus.

1 Like

The author uses “potential problem”, “risk of” and “what if” but didn’t provide any evidences that those could be of high probability, merely use some generic marketing theory like compromise effect and Thorstein Veblen’s Veblen goods. The best I can do is thank you for your risk analysis paper, you can now submit to your professor.

1 Like

Take the $250k gain early and often…That is up to $125k/ year tax free…fastest way to wealth I know…Did it in the 90s and got rich…Buy and hold is ok, but there will be times of lots of repairs and little appreciation…

2 Likes

Although I think it would technically be covered by the upgrade program, I think Apple should have made an explicit 8/X upgrade program, where you buy the 8 on a payment plan and then turn it in for an X when it becomes available. They can refurb the phones, and double count the sales.

For me, I’m waiting for a black friday deal on the 7, since my 6 is getting long in the tooth and I want a better camera.

1 Like

iPhone 7 outselling 8, Huawei launching X rival

How are some configs of the 8 out of stock then? You know they are manufacturing them at a crazy rate. They aren’t Tesla making 220/QTR by hand.

So long Apple sells whatever it makes, we don’t know the demand pattern of the iPhone configuration. Apple forecast and supply chain could be so good that the plan for all configurations are proportionally correct. For example, supply of 7, 8, X could be 30%, 35%, 35% or 40%, 20%, 40% similar to demand… we don’t know, articles are merely speculating.

Won’t these be taxed at 15% (for most people) as long term capital gains and hence saving of $75k on $500k gain? Expense would be 6% closing cost.

Let’s consider following scenario where options are (a) convert primary to rental, or (b) selling primary to reap tax-free gain and buy similar rental. Investment horizon is 10yrs after which rental property will be sold in either case.

Initial Purchase Price = $500k
Assume 100% appreciation in 2-3 yrs
Tentative Sale Price = $1M
Purchase Price of equivalent rental = $1M

Max Tax free gain = $500k
Tax saved (at 15% long term capital gain) = $75k
Real Estate Txn cost in selling primary and then buying rental = $60k (6% closing cost on $1M)
All gains put as downpayment for rental to keep EMI same
Net Savings = $15k

Annual Property Tax on Primary = $5k
Annual Property Tax on Rental = $10k
Increase in annual property tax = $5k

So, option (b) puts an extra $15k in the bank initially but with an extra $5k in annual property taxes, option (a) turns out to be the winner after 3yrs and continues to be the leader from there on.

Did I miss something in this back-of-the-hand calculation?

1 Like

Having two entirely separate SoCs inside a smartphone is unusual. The Pixel Visual Core has its own CPU (a single Cortex A53 core to play traffic cop), its own DDR4 RAM, the eight IPU cores, and a PCIe line, presumably as a bus to the rest of the system. Ideally, you would have a single SoC that integrates the IPU right next to that other co-processor, the GPU. The Pixel 2 is based on the Snapdragon 835 SoC, though, and you aren’t allowed to integrate your own custom silicon with Qualcomm’s design. What Google can do is wrap a minimal SoC around its eight IPU cores and then connect that to the main system SoC. If Google ever set out to compete with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon line, an IPU is something it could build directly into its own designs. For now, though, it has this self-contained solution.

Google is taking a page from the Apple play book. This is just baby step. Maybe Google is cooking its own CPU. Fascinating!

1 Like

Apple and Google promise updates to fix an ‘unprecedented’ flaw in Wi-fi protection that has left almost ALL home routers at risk of being hacked however…

Android users could be waiting months before they are safe as manufacturers have to release their own updates.

1 Like

That’s because Google doesn’t control the hardware the way Apple does. Google recently bought the entire mobile phone team from HTC for 1.1B. It’s getting into phone hardware in a big way.

Apple’s biggest moat is its semiconductor expertise. It has the best chip design team on the planet. Whether Google wants to and able to catch up is not clear.

Well, it’s cheaper than the $12.5B they paid for Motorola which was for the same purpose. I think they sold that one less than a year after they bought it. I’m wondering why anyone thinks this acquisition will be different.