Hmm, What Is Apple Doing?

Dude…what kind of car do you drive? It better be a Buick…

@sfdragonboy,

Make America Great Again is Trump vision, but Make Apple Great Again is Tim’s Vision. There is a conflict of Interest. When corp tax is getting reduced, the conflict goes away, then both join together !

1 Like

Um… wasn’t that supposed to be your baby? Poor little kid looking for his dad…

Um… it’s a Tesla… :rofl:

We aren’t talking about the imaginary one that you ordered :slight_smile:

Unlike some people I can look ahead into the future… :rofl:

Nope, with all these crazies running around, best to stay undercover…

Okie dokie… :grin:

Did you say anything that pissed off the wrong people? C’mon. We are all super nice people. Good looking too!

When big money is involved, best to stay unknown. You never know who might be casing us or following us home.

Anyone new and interested in investing in AAPL, this site gives a very good summary.

2 Likes

Do you need another AI chip company to invest in when you’re already in Apple?

‘Silicon Is Unforgiving’

The implications for the current A11 Bionic are interesting. Apple began planning the chip roughly three years ago. Fairly early in the planning stage, Apple’s hardware and OS teams had to have realized that they wanted to implement machine learning and inference algorithms locally on the mobile device, rather than in the cloud.

In 2014 or 2015, no one was doing that, or even talking about doing it. Conventional wisdom was that it had to be done in the cloud. Those hardware and OS teams had to have realized that special purpose hardware was needed to make that work, which would need to be provisioned early in the SOC design process. This became the Apple Neural Engine inside the A11.

Whew! Makes you wonder what they’re planning for 2020, doesn’t it?

2 Likes

Sorry, @harriet, Samsung is not #1

1 Like

When I saw dollar tree at #99 I decided it wasn’t worthwhile for me to flip all the way to #1:laughing:

All I said was I think Samsung’s latest phone is better than the latest iPhone. I am by no means a Samsung fan. If I like the brand so much I would not have used Apple for so long. Let’s be objective here instead of blindly following brands.

2 Likes

Samsung still leads in smart phone market.

Source:

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3193126/mobile-wireless/q1-2017-smartphone-shipments-samsung-rebounds-apple-goes-sideways-chinese-makers-roar.html

Amazing that Apple is ~15% market share of phones but over 90% of the profits.

1 Like

Smartphones are at the top of the S curve. Incremental improvement YoY is getting smaller and smaller. What exactly are the big deals about iPhone X? Edge to edge display? OLED? FaceID? These are all improvements, but pretty small.

Huawei/OPPP/ViVo will continue to eat into Samsung and Apple’s shares. They already dominate the Chinese market, and they are starting to dominate the Indian market too. I think they will just eat the entire developing markets and start to show up in the First World. Will you pay $500 more just so you can unlock your phone with your face? Some will. Many won’t.

Quality still matters. Even in a poor country like China, people still willing to pay top dollars for better brands. Apple can also make a cheap phone if it feels pushed by the Chinese knockoffs. It’s not doing it because there isn’t a need to.

Huawei’s price is low, but it’s not a cheap phone. It works just fine, at a fraction of an iPhone’s price. Sure, iPhone is better, but not 4x or 5x better.

Honda Civic is a great car. Mercedes is better. Do we all drive Mercedes? I like my Honda just fine.