Hmm, What Is Apple Doing?

What happen when Apple screwed up in pricing? Say, price iPhone X too high?
For sure Apple won’t repeat what it does in 2007, drop price after slightly over 60 days,

Apple offering $100 store credit for all iPhone owners

We apologize for disappointing some of you, and we are doing our best to live up to your high expectations of Apple.

Steve Jobs

Apple CEO

1 Like

According to hesitant investor, 70% of Apple’s revenue comes from iPhone sales. So I looked through Apple 10-Ks and this is what I found:
As a % of total sale, iPhone peaked in 2015 :wink: and is only 62% for 2017. That guy repeated a story in 2015 without bothering to use the latest % or check Apple 10-K.
44 PM

3 Likes

Wow, services is bigger than Mac. I remember when iMac was the #1 revenue product. iPod used to be big too. That says the biggest revenue year was 2015. 2016 was the year to worry. Revenue is growing again.

1 Like

Apple Watch and Apple AirPods were first released for sale in Apr 2015 and Dec 2016 respectively. They are categorized under Other Products, 2017’s sales have jumped nearly 28% over 2015’s sales. Promising.

Services revenue is accelerating :smile:

After peaking in 2015, sales in China has been declining in dollar and percentage term.
56 AM

However, sales may be re-bouncing.

4 Likes

Huawei heard you, Fearless Leader…

1 Like

Huawei is very good. Another great company from Shenzhen, China’s SV and WS rolled into one.

OMG, I think I will start referring you as Chairman Mao Jr…

2 Likes

AAPL is shown double top now. Source FinViz

Target is $155, doesn’t mean much. No need to sell your shares nor long puts to benefit from double top.
Long calls aggressively at 200-day SMA should double tops occur.

1 Like
1 Like

Watch Eddy Cue talk about Apple’s need for diversity

Cue also discusses the need for diversity at Apple, saying that if you aren’t a diverse company, you’re going to struggle when it comes to bringing your products outside of Silicon Valley.

When I started at Apple, 70 percent of our sales were in the U.S., 30 percent international. Today, that number is the complete opposite. Today, the biggest country in the world for sales of iPhone and iPad isn’t the U.S., it’s China. We sell more iPhones and iPads in China.

http://host.madison.com/business/investment/markets-and-stocks/apple-inc-may-finally-have-a-serious-chip-competitor/article_98d76d96-12fc-5ece-9a8b-6352873afccc.html

Limited Apple Watch controls for select Whirlpool appliances coming in 2018

This is troubling as it would mean consumers would use iPhone less.

I think we’re hitting the point of diminishing returns on processor speed. As long as the device operates with no perceptible lag to the user, then who cares how powerful the process is? Once you hit no lag, then being 2x, 4x, or even 10x faster doesn’t matter. The user can’t perceive the difference.

It reminds me of geeks who’d argue about frame rate when building a box for gaming. You get above a certain point and the human eye can’t even tell the difference in frame rates. It’s the same with screen resolution. Apple was brilliant to use the term Retina display.

2 Likes

Apple’s Indirect Presence Fades from CES

We would go to CES and remark at how Apple’s dominance loomed over the show. Vendors of all shapes and sizes were rushing to be a part of the Apple ecosystem. Apple’s ecosystem was front and center with everything from iOS apps, to accessories galore for iPhone and iPad, and even companies looking to copy Apple in many ways. The last year or so, things have dramatically changed, and that change is further evident at this year’s CES.

Gone are the days of Apple’s presence, or observably “winning” of CES, even though they are not present. It was impossible to walk the show floor and not see a vast array of interesting innovations which touched the Apple ecosystem in some way. Now it is almost impossible to walk the floor and see any products that touch the Apple ecosystem in any way except for an app on the iOS App Store. The Apple ecosystem is no longer the star of CES but instead things like Amazon’s Alexa voice platform, and now Google’s assistant voice platform is the clear ecosystem winners of CES.

As I mentioned, our ability to measure any platforms ecosystem from what we observe at CES, is the main reason so many are paying attention to what is happening with Amazon’s Alexa platform. Google Assistant is certainly more present than it was last year, however, when you look at how third parties are talking about-and marketing-their support of these assistants they are putting significantly more effort into talking about Alexa than Google Assistant. Which is a telling signal. Again, to reiterate this point, third parties used to market, and spend energy talking about their integration with iOS or support of iPhone/iPad with the same rigor they are now talking about Amazon’s Alexa. This can not be ignored.

Alexa is at the bottom of the S curve, iPhone at the top.

1 Like

Tesla is at the bottom of the S curve, Amazon at the top.

Yeah!
I had friends to whom I called Chinese all my life.
They were Japanese. :laughing:

Then, one day at the immigration office, I spoke to a guy I presumed to be from Guatemala, he looked like a native from there. He made faces because he didn’t understand Spanish. He was from Indonesia.

By the way. My IPhone turned into a worthless piece of …art.

I had a feature not allowing you to use the phone while driving. It disappeared 2-3 weeks ago. And so being paired to my car Bluetooth.

By itself!