Hong Kong & Singapore is the place to be for economic freedom

Audio doesn’t work for me; the narrator can easily ruin the entire book.

I live by a simple code: I don’t bite the hand that feeds me.

OMG… Who do we have here??? No more Mr. Chung? :rofl:

Love? More like life changing!

Like Singapore - great food, but do not care for Hong Kong anymore. Used to be fine in yesteryears. To live permanently, hard to beat northern CA but would not mind having a place near Tokyo for visiting. Would not mind having a place in Singapore for eats too, but I find hotels not that expensive there.

Singapore is tropical climate which I do not like ! For that matter, I do not like Los Angeles too. I like BA climate and growth opportunities.

Economic freedom? USA is completely business economy. If there are opportunities, any one may beat even GOOGL or FB, no constraints.

Take the example of Robinhood, how they changed the entire broker’s world? Even the big brokers, like Fidelity (4 trn), Vanguard (5 trn) are bringing down commission and providing commission free investments to compete.

When Robinhood goes to IPO, it will be a major jump. BTW: Googl venture capitalist with Robinhood.

There are endless opportunities available in USA.

Singapore weather sucks. So humid for my taste, but the food was good.

1 Like

Singapore is a city. Hardly comparable to a huge country. I enjoyed it 30 years ago. Great food

1 Like

I decided to not live in a city where car ownership is hard. Singapore has huge tax-like things on car ownership!

1 Like

It’s not hard. You just need money. :wink:

1 Like

When you are really rich you can live anywhere and still live like a king. When you are not that rich stay in America.

2 Likes

When you are super rich, other than tax concerns, why would one like to go out of America?

I wouldn’t, but others might. For example, someone might find Asian culture fascinating so would like to immerse himself in Asia.

1 Like

You can learn to cook what you like (see the WSJ’s recent article on the Tyranny of Convenience), but you cannit change the weather. :wink:

Ok, but it is still exceedingly difficult to enjoy your cars(s) in Singapore - CA has some of the best enthusiast-driving roads in the world.

Singapore’s sales tax is going to be higher than California.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-19/singapore-plans-to-boost-gst-to-9-as-spending-pressures-mount?cmpid=socialflow-facebook-asia&utm_content=asia&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

1 Like

They dont have capital gains tax though. Who cares about sales tax if you are frugal.

Only businesses with taxable turnover for the past 12 months exceeds $1 million need to register for GST.
Most hawkers don’t pay GST so just eat at hawkers’ centre :grinning:

The government is moving to become less reliant on investment returns as it seeks to shore up savings to cope with a rapidly aging population.

What kind of scenario is that government seeing?
An aging population pays less tax, uses more subsidized healthcare services, …
With a reduced tax collection and an increased in government spending, the return from investment is not sufficient to cope.
Any other ways to interpret?

Older people trade more conservatively and generate less trading income for government?