Inlaw unit? Yes or no?

More, ask for more…

Oh something to consider is whether or not you want to include (in the rent amount) the added values of cable tv, internet, laundry and utilities. I don’t nickel and dime so I just include for those in the rent amount. X pays for it all/per month. Easy.

I will need to hook up the cable wire into the room. What about laundry? I want privacy in my garage. Can we have another laundry hookup, outside the house within a small storage room?

Why the change? If it’s cost/hassle that’s understandable. It would be costly on a per square foot basis to add a true secondary unit and in terms of scope it’s big, but you will maximize the rental income you can receive. Your lot is big and you could still have a very big private yard for your primary if you set it up right. IMO, most people don’t use their yard very much. It serves as some open space for a privacy buffer.

You can think about it in this manner, what would it cost for you to purchase another investment property to generate the income you are looking to receive? I don’t know what your layout is, but you could make it that most of the impact on your use of your house is simply the extra parking arrangement.

It sounds like you are heading down the just put something together that functions path which still works, but it’s going to have a bigger impact from a resale standpoint if your house ends up being non-standard and weird. When people walk through your house they should not have any questions about how it works or is laid out. It should just work.

Well, you can certainly not include the use of your laundry machines but then again if you want top dollar a tenant would appreciate/expect the use of the machines (one load max per week for ex). My friends say they don’t see their tenants too often at all in their garage (since one of their exit doors is to the garage area). And if your garbage cans are in the garage, how do you expect people to toss their garbage away?

Sorry to add to this…but think of the added income!!!

Dragon boy, only SF requires people to put their icky garbage cans inside the house. The free people everywhere else just leave their garbage cans out in the open.

Ok, just pointing it out. I have done inlaws 10 times to sunday so I want to point out every thing that potentially could come up in such an arrangement. No harm, no foul. If it doesn’t apply, move to the next item…

Ha, Manch is now starting to appreciate the fiercely regulated city. But the coming millennials may want to de-regulate SF.

Liberalism = highly regulated = loss of freedom including speech freedom

Free people and Cowboys are for Republicans. Manch has been disqualified by liberals.

That’s fine. I evaluate everything on a case by case basis. Sometimes I side with the R’s, sometimes the D’s. Sometimes neither.

Keep yourself away from inflexible “isms” and set your mind free.

1 Like

Surprisingly my self appraisal is the same as yours. I thought myself a truly independent and not bound by anything,

I found this portable washer dryer (that I can probably place in the bathroom):

Your call…but potential for water usage abuse and just more expense. Go with the KISS theory whenever possible…Keep It Simple Stupid (not directed at you of course)…

That’s true, if the drain hose is not pointed properly, my rental room will potentially flood.

MM

I would not offer Laundry if it is too much setup. I think it is definitely okay with not offering it for small rental up to 2 bedroom. Normally no laundry is turn off to big family only.

Yes!!! This owner knows what’s up. If not for a nanny, an elderly mom, or (gasp) additional income!!!

Granny units are great for income, but add little value…Appraisals dont give much value…Maybe $150/sf…basically cost…mainly because a lot of buyers dont want to share their property with tenants.
Of course in dense urban areas inlaws units are everywhere

Great as intended. for your senior mother, and of course boomerang kids.

@Elt1, SLT is beautiful as ever… no snow though

See, one can’t stop the inlaw movement…

2 Likes

It’s pretty common in Seattle in areas that have a basement. The basement is setup as a separate unit. I looked at a place this weekend that had one above the garage. It was a small studio.

Target all homes with in law potential?

Not sure what you mean by target. But a lot of cities have the clause that says - in-law units are permitted only if the owner lives on the property (either in the in-law or the main unit ).