Inlaw unit? Yes or no?

It works and will popular in DC and SF…less so in the suburbs…People buy there to get a yard…the in law unit will eliminate the enjoyment of the yard…Do you want your kids exposed to some random tenant?? If tenant laws were changed maybe…But who wants some angry entitled tenants rights asshole on your property…What about fair housing rules…Do you want a family with kids taking over your yard?..I only allowed a single person I could control in my ADU…Which was a legal unit with a separate address…I should have put in separate utilities but would have cost $30k more…

1 Like

Well, even people in suburbs have aging parents. Not to say it is not important to others, but especially Asians, there is this desire to take care of elderly parents onsite as best as possible. We are certainly grappling with that now with our elderly mom and, yes, while it is really hard on us, we are managing it. An inlaw unit, even the burbs, would allow your elderly mom and dad to be semi independent but close enough to monitor. It works, again…

1 Like

Converting the garage would be cheaper…As far as putting in actual inlaws…it defeats the purpose…Those in-laws can just live in the house…These politicians think that you will actually put random low income people on your back yard…Maybe you will if it is your maid or aupair…But the idea that random people will live in your space is not going to happen…

Sure, either way…

Like that thread about garage conversion, I am looking forward to doing that to my Fremont rental. Now, you have more experience inc cost estimating, is my $50-$60K estimate about right to incorporate my one car garage space with the rest of the home? The garage is only a step down away from the current dining room. I would either use the garage for a master/bath space. Obviously add a few windows or a french door at the back to go into the yard. Roof line might be extended but that would be more expensive. I would then add an arbor style car port in front of the enclosed garage space.

Don’t let these cities off the hook, they need to approve mid rise, h ighrise and more R3 zoning…
And obviously allow garage conversions

Well, Wiener is trying at the State level…

As mentioned before, millennials seem more determined to change the status quo so there is hope. But if they keep buying $20 avocado toast, not sure where the money will be for the housing…

1 Like

We can rent them a parking space in the driveway for their Rvs

Give me your thoughts, @Elt1:

I am looking forward to doing that to my Fremont rental. Now, you have more experience inc cost estimating, is my $50-$60K estimate about right to incorporate my one car garage space with the rest of the home? The garage is only a step down away from the current dining room. I would either use the garage for a master/bath space. Obviously add a few windows or a french door at the back to go into the yard. Roof line might be extended but that would be more expensive. I would then add an arbor style car port in front of the enclosed garage space.

I will think about it and get back to you…Try to find out if it is legal first

PM some pictures and a floor plan

1 Like

Yes, it is legal!!! Everyone ELSE on my block practically have done it. Ballpark me. Simple one car garage on the other side of dining room mostly. Single door to garage. One step down. I would use the whole garage as a master/bath or just added living space to keep it simple. French door at the back.

I think it makes the most sense for actual family. There’s a reason they are called inlaw units or granny flats. That’s usually why people initially build them. It’s a lot easier to have aging parents close by to help out. I’d save assisted living for when they need 24/7 help.

2 Likes

I can do it that cheap or cheaper. really depends on who you get to do the work.

Ok, so not unreasonable is all I was after. My handyman works for a large construction company so this should be fairly easy for him.

Google employs many singles (both female and male). These guys can afford to rent a room only, not many available and not easy to find a group of friends to rent an apartment or a SFH. Also, true to a certain extent for FB and AAPL. When I was renting my house, many groups of unrelated by blood guys (male, female and mixed) wanted to rent… they are willing to pay up to 30% higher in rent (something like what Financial Sumurai did). Never like group of unrelated guys in this promiscuous and sue-loving society.

1 Like

Same thing is happening in Fab 7x7. We have been renting to mostly millennials or late 20s/early 30s for years now. They are roommates, perhaps friends from college and they are willing to forego a living room if that means an extra bedroom (cheaper rent/head).

1 Like

Looks like this house can go for 1.5 without ADU. final price ?
“guest house converted from a garage”

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Redwood-City/271-Jeter-St-94062/home/1014883?utm_source=myredfin&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ios_share&utm_nooverride=1&utm_content=link

Nice home. Shoot, If it were 3/2 and more north, I would go for this.

Pending, after a week. Presumably all cash offer by flipper…

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Francisco/2501-42nd-Ave-94116/home/1238751

Speaking of inlaws…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-12/the-american-dream-is-now-a-backyard-rental