Is SF Chinatown A Dinosaur?

OK. That part of Broadway is very touristy and very busy. If it fails there he can’t blame nobody.

Interesting stuff may be happening at the Empress Of China building on Grant Ave in Chinatown…

I think my Big Bro had about 700 guests there for his wedding eons ago. Yeah, that’s right 70 tables or so…I was impressed

So, is it changing or not? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, considering how protective the Chinatown powers that be are (or have been in the past to keep the techies out for example) this is a change. Hey, baby steps…

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2017/03/01/china-live-opens-on-broadway/

Yeah, should be interesting to see what people think about this place. Yes, @harriet, that might mean referring to that dreaded Yelp rating…:grin:

Finally I knew what I was saying! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Maybe one day we might have this problem with the alleyways of Chinatown…

Noooo, where would we get our egg custards then???

Oh…they are liberals…who would’ve thought about it…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Has anyone been to China Live yet?

I thought the article was debating hard vs soft egg custards? Damn.

Anyway what makes Chinatown Chinatown are the shops, not the shabby buildings. Chinatown is what Hong Kong and Singapore looked like 60 or 70 years ago. People moved on, man. How about putting up some newer buildings but still maintain the that Chinese feel somehow?

What, and become Millbrae??? Hell no!!!

So you are a NIMBY after all…

1 Like

What makes Chinatown cool is the dark, narrow alleyways, the funky smells and overflowing shops with all kinds of do-dads. Millbrae is sterile and boring.

Make the change from “Chinatown” to “Mission”, and “Millbrae” to “Noe”, and you are perfectly in step with the NIMBY’s here. Maybe you should look into changing your name to “Bernie Kim”. :smile:

Ok, fine, progress is acceptable even in Chinatown…

Regarding this…Golden Gate Bakery is a Gold Mine… Not even San Tung uses a turnstile system like this place…

I don’t think anybody would describe Chinatown as cool except you.

In a world filled with a sea of bland, tract homes, Chinatown takes one back to an early time in our history by just going there and taking it all in. You don’t need a history book or movie to visualize or imagine what it must have been like for our forefathers to come so far on ships to the Gold Mountain. Chinatown hasn’t changed significantly in so many years. That is why it is so cool.