Location suggestion for Primary in South Bay

My impression is that Homestead is a good school, but not among the best. Certainly a rung or two below Monta Vista and Lynbrook.

I posted a link to UC Berkeley admissions data on this forum a while back. You can query the database how many students from each high school applied, how many got accepted, and which races they are.

I suppose you don’t need to worry about high school for a long time to come. Maybe the middle school is more pressing.

1 Like

SJ attended Homestead :slight_smile: . In the long run, Homestead has more room to improve (in % term) than already very good schools, so if home prices follow good schools, houses near Homestead would rise faster than those already have good schools. This was the initial strategy adopted by me, bought a SFH near MVHS, then Cupertino High,then Lynbrook or Homestead but price rises too fast before I can gather enough doughs. The SFH going to Cupertino High rises faster than the one going to MVHS in both absolute and % term :grin:. At the moment, lost interest in buying any because of extreme low inventory… buying in Austin suburbs and monitoring South Bay.

As more and more highly paid professionals come to South Bay, all schools would be very good eventually :slight_smile:

1 Like

And he was a pretty lousy student.

2 Likes

I am looking at this:

You can short by State for easy sorting. Yea, Homestead High is lower than Monta Vista, Lynbrook and Cupertino High. But also weird to fund Palo Alto schools lower than these three. And couldn’t find MVHS.

These magazine ratings can be very arbitrary. That’s why I used real hard admissions data. My theory is that schools sending more kids into Berkeley are better than ones that send fewer.

1 Like

This is the thread:

The data source is further down the thread.

Thanks! I don’t think I saw that one yet. I assume private university like Stanford doesn’t have that data. And wanted to see how that two list stacks up if there is one.

West valley + Cupertino Middle + Homestead is crazy.

Good homes selling more than 2 M.

They have data, just don’t want to share it publicly. :slight_smile: I assume the two lists have high correlation.

I hope you are right. Right now my old San Jose house feeds into Evergreen Valley High. It’s the worst among the “good” schools, so surely has the most room for improvement.

C’mon kids! Hit the books and push up my property value!!

If you have friends whose kids are enrolled at high schools which you are interested in, ask them.
Lynbrook has website (open to its students and parents only) which has application/admission/enrollment statistics of its students for all colleages/universities.
I am sure other schools have similar information open to their parents/students.

We need a crowd source project!

Correct. Stokes home must be avoided, too noisy, endless…

1 Like

Over the past few years, price of houses in West Sunnyvale (94087)/ Cupertino (95014)/ West San Jose (95130) converges. So if you owned houses in 94087, you would be very happy as it appreciated faster than Cupertino. You would be even happier if you owned a MV SFH, it overtook Cupertino.

Interesting. So in that case for last few years, owning a house in Cupertino is least return compared to this three locations? So what do you think would happen on downtrend? Which one will retain value the most?

Which companies can withstand downturn better? Apple, Facebook, Google? I think the prices in those three areas are moving in tandem now.

1 Like

Yea, I would say so, Google most of all with the most diverse business, but I think they all will do well. For downrun, I think South Bay has more companies that can withstand the storm more so than earlier / smaller startups in SF.

2 Likes

Wow! I didn’t realized that Sunnyvale w/ Cupertino Schools are going for almost $1100 per sq ft now. Haven’t looked in that area in awhile. I suppose that I’m the pessimist of the group but I’d worry about future appreciation buying at that price.

2 Likes

We have been talking mostly on West Sunnyvale & Cupertino. I am curious on people take on Menlo Park? We love the idea of living in Menlo Park, but might be far away from Asian groceries and food that we love :slight_smile:

Price has dropped twice on this house:

Another one I was eyeing on, but pending now:

Wow, Menlo Park is so cheap compare to West Sunnyvale/ Cupertino. I got a feeling that neighborhoods desirable to Asians are going up in price relative to those favor by caucasians. I came up with that reasoning when I notice that price in Los Gatos is lower than Cupertino and MV.