Maybe.....Asians Don't Want It

Well, you might have a point. If Asians are underrepresented in management positions, Google should do more leadership training and support for Asians. They also could consider Asians for management positions as a priority. With the same qualifications and the same leadership quality, Asian candidate should be considered as a priority?

If you blame on Asian culture, that is discrimination already. Since you are asain yourself, it might be ok to discriminate against your own race

Oh, since I should walk the walk and talk the talk, the truth of the matter is that I was a manager before. It was the worst period of my working life. When I changed companies, I was asked to be a manager but said no way. Just to tell you where I stand, I interviewed my new boss who was a peer on a different team. I will bet you every house I own that he regrets it. I told him in the interview not to do it but he said he wanted to try it, just like I did way back when asked to at the different company. Even back then, I recall talking to a semi mentor of mine in our So Cal office. He said the same. Management was not for him. Both are white by the way. The truth of the matter is, and @notabene mentioned it, it is hard to go back to a ic once you hit the management track. It is unfortunate, but that is reality. And, please do not introduce crap that oh you weren’t qualified and so on. No, it is the politics that usually does you in.

People who are good at politics are bad people, but they are the management material.

Politicians are bad people, but only bad people become leaders :joy:

Precisely.

I love the commercial where a child’s dream is become a middle manager… Not!!!
Everyone wants be be the next Zucker man…
nobody ever dreams of being a middle manager

1 Like

Some people are naturally manipulative. I guess they prefer to be managers

Do you behave and talk like an American? Indians and Blacks are further along than Chinese in this cultural fit. Not talking about hard or soft skills; not about technical competency or political wisdom. Cultural fit. Don’t think American companies want misfit in their top management.

Can only agree if cultural misfit is racism.

BAGB,

Is Sundar Pichai belongs to the higher class fair Indians? AFAIK, the lower class indians are pretty dark, almost as dark as black.

Pichai is a Tamil Brahmin. But economically his family belongs to lower middle class

https://www.quora.com/What-do-high-caste-low-caste-and-middle-ranking-castes-of-Indians-look-like

Upper caste fair skin indian!

Upper caste Indians typically have sharp nose, fair skin, long face.

1 Like

Yes, I think “cultural misfit” is a better term to use than “racism” here. Or “cultural barrier”. The term “racism” brings out too many negative connotations…

Ok I hear you…

management position requires 1 skill. it’s call ASS LICKING.

1 Like

Brahmins are the upper caste Indians, doesn’t matter if his skin is light or dark.

Come on… :rofl:

Darkness of Brahmins are never as dark as the lower caste :slight_smile: In Singapore, fair skin indians are businessmen, managers and professionals. Dark skin as dark as black are construction workers, janitors, odd job guys and car cleaning (S$1 per day).

See, I can’t even “manage” a holiday party…:grin:

1 Like

Sensitive to people’s feelings and showing respect.

Gee, @dioworld, you really should come out of your shell and let us really know what you think…:laughing:

There are definitely Asian folks who don’t want to rise to management, but for those who do, they face unique challenges that other groups don’t. Most of the challenges are rooted in unconscious bias. There’s a reason the term Bamboo Ceiling resonates with many Asians in the corporate world.

This article describes some of those challenges identified through studies:

Some highlights:

• Stereotypes about Asians being highly competent can make Asians appear threatening in the workplace, and stereotypes about Asians lacking social skills make them seem unfit for leadership.
  • Asians face a double bind: If they act more dominant, they will be less liked, but if they do not project dominance, they will not be seen as leaders.
  • Inconsistency between Asian stereotypes and the traits people tend to value in leaders. While business leaders are often expected to be competent, intelligent, and dedicated, they are also expected to be charismatic and socially skilled — along with masculine and dictatorial or authoritarian. This puts at a disadvantage Asian Americans, who are often seen to fit low to midlevel management positions but not top-level leadership.

The authors provide a good closing thought

“It is time to rethink the “good leader” prototype of being masculine, dictatorial, and charismatic. Evidence shows that neither men nor women prefer to be treated in an aggressive fashion, yet that model persists as a valid expectation for leadership. As the population of workers in the United States changes, so too should models for leaders. In the meantime, businesses should focus on determining the competencies needed to fulfill a leadership job and then select leaders who fit the requirements rather than leadership stereotypes. If we do this, it is likely that more minorities and women will reach the top.”

2 Likes

admit it guys, it’s the truth haha