Maybe.....Asians Don't Want It

Confucius is bullshit. I will never teach my kids to be humble. That’s recipe for failure.

1 Like

No management skills needed… everyone will be managed by robots in the future… :rofl:

1 Like

It’s not genes, it’s your parents whom you were observing since day 1. This has to be blamed on your parents, no one else

I think parents have a 90% influence on children’s personality. If your parents are talking all the time before you, you’ll be the same.

Ask Jane, is her parents also reserved?

You can find 1000 parents to exchange babies on day 1 and then see what’s the cultural difference

I am okay with email/text/face-to-face, but absolutely despise phone conversations. It’s like you are pressured to talk but you can’t really tell since you can’t see the other person’s expression. Cannot understand why some people can talk on the phone for hours.

So why do East Asians have this natural deficiency in their genetics? Mr. Biologist please enlighten us :tipping_hand_woman:

Genetics? If Wu was not an East Asian, it would be much worse than that google Guy

Depends on how you look at it. When candidates come in for interviews if they are arrogant as hell I give them the pink slip. It needs to be the right balance.

In evolution, natural environment shapes the way species evolve. In the last Ice Age, China became the coldest place habitable by humans (Europe was still under mountains of ice where only neanderthals could survive). Since all human ancestors migrated out of a hot climate (we all originated from Africa), adapting to a cold environment required our ancestors to adopt a whole different set of skills. There is a lot more patience and planning needed to rare chidren in such a harsh environment. The colder the environment, the more patience and planning required. Aggression and dominant behaviors became subdued where more community building and teamwork are needed to survive. So this is how East Asians evolved to possess more reserved characteristics in general than others.

Notice while this characteristic can be a deficiency in some ways, it is also an advantage in others. So one should not look at it as a minus, but rather something more intrinsic that can act as a plus as well, given the circumstances… :wink:

1 Like

Here’s the irony: what you consider arrogant, someone who isn’t Asian may consider confident. What you consider appropriate, a non-Asian interviewer may consider timid.

Notice that what you and Asian posters here view positively as being “reserved” is perceived more negatively by non-Asians such as your coworker as being “timid.”

At the end of the day, perception matters more than reality when it comes to the real world. That’s why companies are investing in diversity initiatives such as training people and leaders on things such as unconscious bias so that women and minorities have a fair chance to grow and succeed.

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, you make this almost sound legit :rofl:. Seriously, though, can you cite research to back this up? I’m sincerely interested. It would explain a lot.

You will have to dig into a lot of research papers in biology to piece together the details. I wouldn’t recommend doing so unless you are serious about getting a genetics PhD like I was at one point in time :rofl:

2 Likes

Unconscious bias training is a waste of money. Biases are part of humanity. You can’t fight it no matter how hard you try.

1 Like

I politely disagree. Granted, some people are less inclined to be open to change and different viewpoints, but most colleagues and leaders I’ve worked with are willing to grow through deeper understanding of how to effectively navigate our changing workforce and environment which will include more women and minorities. The smart ones know that if they don’t, they will not attain the best results, and their own careers will suffer. As the saying goes, adapt or die.

I’ve been involved in interviewing job candidates from both an influencing perspective and a decision-making perspective over the course of my career. All candidates were typically interviewed by multiple team members and leaders. Over time, I have seen the biases of others, and I have seen mine.

Earlier on in my career, there was a candidate who seemed brash and overly confident to me. The leaders loved him, and I deferred to their judgment. They were right. He turned into a stellar performer on a key aspect of the business that required that type of persona. What to me was a turn-off (based on my own bias) was just right for those leaders with experience. It was a learning opportunity for me.

More recently, we had a candidate who was Asian, and I thought she was strong on all the areas needed to succeed in the role. When debriefing with the other interviewers, a leader indicated he thought she was all right, but she wouldn’t do well in a group meeting setting when representing our team. When I asked what gave him that impression, he said she seemed soft spoken. I agreed that she wasn’t the most animated of our candidates but indicated my impression was that she carefully considered each question before responding thoughtfully. The leader agreed with my assessment, and she was hired.

We all have our blind spots when it comes to our biases, but it’s a benefit to all, including ourselves, if we are open to change when those biases are uncovered.

2 Likes

Also, people said similar things back when sexual harassment training was first implemented. You and many others are now benefiting from that waste of money. Just like you’ll benefit if companies seriously work on workplace diversity. Maybe will benefit the candidates you interview, too :rofl:.

1 Like

This is why we have multiple people interviewing a candidate as opposed to doing it dictator style. And you can just disagree with my opinion, no need to be polite :joy: you are such a nice person @Chiapet828 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was a victim of verbal sexual harrassment at one point, so how much this training really benefited me I have no clue.

@harriet I’m sorry you went through that. Things aren’t perfect, but things have improved a lot. I talk with women colleagues who’ve been in the workforce a long time, and it was rough. We still have a ways to go, but we have come a long way.

1 Like

So whatever happened to the person who harrassed you???

Nothing. When the whole thing happened I was on my way out the door anyway so I didn’t make a big fuss about it, but I heard he left the company shortly after as well. I never even worked with that pervert and had minimal interaction with him prior to this since he worked in a different department so I was shocked.

1 Like

I have been in that situation. The way to handle it really depends on your organization. How often do you have layoffs? What’s the typical process for firing? Is there an improvement plan that provides a path for remediation etc. And you say “kinda” that means he’s not entirely lazy if I’m understanding you. But first it sounds like you need to improve your relationship with your boss so that he respects your viewpoints and doesn’t just dismiss your advice which I assume might be the case in regards to this person? Anyways, I’m sure I could keep going on and on, but we’re getting pretty off topic from RE :stuck_out_tongue:

The same argument can be made from the other side as well. Balance being the operative word.