Net Neutrality Goes Down! Should We Be Concerned?

The basic idea behind net neutrality is not to use the source or type of traffic to discriminate.

e.g. Verizon cannot charge more to deliver Netflix to you because they want you to buy streaming from a Video service that they have a partnership with.

An example of a country where things have gone out of control with classification and walled gardens is Portugal. You pay for your internet service (which is only connectivity), then you have to pay for access to email and again again for access for streaming services and pay again for access to other services.

Think about it, would the internet have ever taken off if people were kept in a number of closed ecosystems and prevented from trying something new because they have to pay a significant premium to be let out of the reservation.

2 Likes

Without any regulation on net neutrality, our internet has done wonders for decades. Whatā€™s the point to intervene and kill your golden egg?

The regulation has been there only for a very short amount of time, itā€™s useless and even can be harmful.

Over regulation will kill competition and leave us with less Internet access. Hope Portugal can allow more ISPs to compete. How about allowing Verizon, att and Comcast to compete in Portugal?

1 Like

Why is it hard to understand? Imagine some kids want to start something to challenge Google or Facebook. Without net neutrality these mega corps can and will pay Comcast and ATT to accelerate their traffic. Now how do these kids compete?

Since the GOP is changing an existing rule the right question to ask is: how will this change benefit consumers? It wonā€™t. Then why are they changing it besides to fatten Comcastā€™s wallet?

3 Likes

Screaming about regulation and say all regulations are bad is intellectually lazy. If you really find all and any regulations to be unbeatable why not move to somolia? No rules but the rules of jungle.

3 Likes

Again, all of the Internet successes have been nurtured in an environment without any net neutrality regulation. There is no need to regulate, market has taken care of us so perfectly.

Sometimes when you try to be smart and intervene, market will get mad and deal you a blow and you are out of luck.

Some seemingly good intentioned policy can have bad consequences, sometimes itā€™s just a deceipt to transfer wealth to politically connected special interest.

Market is more intelligent than Trump, Obama, Clinton combined.

ISP price has skyrocketed. Is it due to the net neutrality regulation? When you try to do good hearted regulation, you could very well hurt us good citizens. Leave us alone until we ask, thank you very much!

Hereā€™s a list of times that carriers interfered in significant ways before net neutrality was passed:

https://np.reddit.com/r/KeepOurNetFree/comments/7ej1nd/fcc_unveils_its_plan_to_repeal_net_neutrality/dq5hlwd/?sh=45a33b81&st=JAA62V5F

want your facetime blocked because ATT wants you to pay for their cell airtime use? go ahead repeal net neutrality. or an app you like because VZ may have a similar app they want to sell you? go ahead and repeal

4 Likes

Repeal now. When my FaceTime is blocked, I will talk to FCC then.

now that class action lawsuits in the event that you signed an arbitration agreement has been thrown out by congress. You can go talk to the FCC, but nothing will get done. You will become cattle that will be milked by large monopolistic vendors.

2 Likes

Kids can get angels to pay for the acceleration or just be creative. Elon sold hats and Evan sold spectacles. May be they can get genius SWEs to do some magical (ML?) codes that deliver services as fast as faster data transfer speed pipesā€¦ thatā€™s innovation! Better compression algorithms that use less bandwidth? Innovation!

Anyhoo, the net neutrality only says equal treatment to all content i.e. for the same data transfer speed pipe, every content are treated equally. It doesnā€™t say, same fees for different data transfer speed pipes.

Improved infrastructure. Faster deployment of better infrastructure. Leads to better experience of movies as an example.

Generally the market and competition will take care of these issues 1000 times better than government and lawsuit.

If Clinton issued net neutrality regulation 25 years earlier, Iā€™m afraid that Internet would be delayed by 15 years. I think that this net neutrality regulation is a threat to Internet. It has increased the cost of my bill.

Government involvement often is bad to consumers and business. Government is usually the problem, not the solution.

Wait, is this a thread on striking down rent control???:grinning:

We should all have NO traffic+vehicle safety laws ā€¦ i.e. the govt should be outā€¦

Look at how much profit Comcast and ATT makes. Lol.

How many broadband internet choices do you have? I only have Comcast and ATT, and ATT quite a bit worse than Comcast. Is this a market when you only have one choice?

I donā€™t know how much you pay in Singapore. In HK there are tons of options and fees are super low. There I can see the market argument.

Maybe we should also have PG&E charge different rate depending on whether you use PG&E brand appliances. Hey what can go wrong?

I think FB and GOOG makes lot more :grinning: and are debt free.
Please examine the debt of Comcast and ATT.

Red herring.
Anyhoo, PG&E, different rates at different times.

Unfortunately, Comcast is that good, so I pay that freaking $200+ monthly billā€¦for now. Yes, @harriet, Sonic is being considered once my contract is upā€¦

If you reduce regulation, Iā€™ll start an ISP. If you increase regulation, can you start one to avoid the price increases?

Net neutrality is a special interest law for nothing, just tried to protect the powerful SV companies. Now even those firms do not care a bit. Why should we be fooled into increasing our own cost?

Before Obamaā€™s net neutrality, ISP was much cheaper. When can we go back to the good old days?

I used to have 2 options for Internet. Now its only one option and I have to pay whatever price they ask.

Hope this repeal can convince Sonic to come to me!

Soooo, do we want textbook free markets or not??? Survival of the fittest or not???

Agree.

Many people tend to read what are said. If you follow what are said, their conclusion is usually logical and reasonable. Then you conclude that the policy is sensitive based on what are said.

What about those that are not said? If youā€™re aware, would you still reach the same conclusion?

I have learned not to listen to why the policy is like this because of such and such reasons. What I want to know, please tell me what are not said and the objections to them. What are said so far in this forum can be read on the web and are used by SV companies and such. Can someone tell me something new, what are not said, your reasons for objecting the policy and your counter to those ā€œbenefits"?

Sonic would come to you anyway as it ramps up (fiber optic, not old stuff). The reviews are mostly encouraging but the Comcast Kool-Aid is very, very strong. You know I need to have internet service all the time!!! Comcast rarely has failed me (I know, I sound like a salespersonā€¦)