Ok, Dallas It Is Investors

Hanera is buying in Austin…Obviously buy in the hills, like where my friend lives.
People who bought in the Marina district in 1990 made huge gains…Similarily, my friend bought in Cabo San Jose in 2015 after the hurricane. .price has since tripled

Texans all need boats, keep them on your property

They said that after Katrina. The headlines were climate change would lead to multiple Katina size super storms a year. How did that prediction turn out? The sea level has actually decreased the last 2 years. You can see the data on the NASA website (at least until they decide to revise historical data again). They’ve revised temperatures 13 times in the last 3 years.

1 Like

The first big hurricane disaster in 13 years…If global warming caused the longest hiatus in Atlantic hurricanes in history…Bring it on…Similarly in Tahoe we had the biggest snow winter and the warmest summer ever…loving it. HARVEY was a small hurricane. CAT 3?..little wind damage. Mainly a rain event

1 Like

If you believe in global warming, invest accordingly. .I am…Maybe I should buy property in Russia…Beach property near St Petersburg. .the new Rivera…lol

1 Like

I don’t recall seeing that prediction. Did they say similar things after Sandy?

Anyway it’s most likely not a straight line going from A to B. Think in terms of probability. If you move the mean of a bell curve to the right, it doesn’t mean things will be higher every time you measure it. It just means you will have a higher probability.

Did hurricane affect Austin in history? It’s hours from the gulf so I think it’s relatively immune to hurricane.

How about tornado?

My impression is that Austin is a safe place but it’s hot and humid and quite uncomfortable to live

Nowadays, ask Siri, Do hurricanes ever hit Austin?

Has Austin ever had a tornado?

It’s half rhetoric Qs. My conclusion was given already :smile:

I am not sure we know those claims have all been proven wrong. 10 years is not terribly long time in the scale of climate science.

Storms like Harvey are helped by one of the consequences of climate change: As the air warms, some of that heat is absorbed by the ocean, which in turn raises the temperature of the sea’s upper layers.

Harvey benefited from unusually toasty waters in the Gulf of Mexico. As the storm roared toward Houston last week, sea-surface waters near Texas rose to between 2.7 and 7.2 degrees Fahrenheit above average. These waters were some of the hottest spots of ocean surface in the world. The tropical storm, feeding off this unusual warmth, was able to progress from a tropical depression to a category-four hurricane in roughly 48 hours.

“This is the main fuel for the storm,” says Kevin Trenberth, a senior scientist at the U.S. National Center for Atmospheric Research. “Although these storms occur naturally, the storm is apt to be more intense, maybe a bit bigger, longer-lasting, and with much heavier rainfalls [because of that ocean heat].”

Houston has seen a lot more flooding in recent years. We just happen to know about Harvey.

The area’s history is punctuated by such major back-to-back storms, but many residents say they are becoming more frequent and severe, and scientists agree.

“More people die here than anywhere else from floods,” said Sam Brody, a Texas A&M University at Galveston researcher who specializes in natural hazards mitigation. “More property per capita is lost here. And the problem’s getting worse.”

Why? Scientists, other experts and federal officials say Houston’s explosive growth is largely to blame.
As millions have flocked to the metropolitan area in recent decades, local officials have largely snubbed stricter building regulations, allowing developers to pave over crucial acres of prairie land that once absorbed huge amounts of rainwater. That has led to an excess of floodwater during storms that chokes the city’s vast bayou network, drainage systems and two huge federally owned reservoirs, endangering many nearby homes.

The region was once home to acres of prairie grass whose roots extended far underground, with a capacity to absorb water for days on end or even permanently. Most of that land has now been paved over. The Katy Prairie northwest of Houston was once about 600,000 acres of flood-absorbing land; recent development has reduced it to a quarter of that capacity, according to estimates from the Katy Prairie Conservancy, an advocacy group.

That means the rain is now falling on what are called impervious or impermeable surfaces, like concrete, preventing the ground underneath from absorbing it. So the rainfall becomes “runoff,” traveling to wherever is easiest for it to flow. The water might flow to a nearby stream, but on its way the water could flood homes, cars and businesses, or the stream might be overwhelmed by that water, causing more flooding nearby.

Forget about climate science, think of your insurance

I think it’s a fun job to study climate science. There’s a huge amount of work to do before they can produce good quality results. We need to advance computation technology and robotic technology to help scientists, also need generic technology to make the climate scientists brain much more smarter :smile:

1 Like

Dont buy on flat ground in lowland areas…then flooding is not an issue

1 Like

What that means is that if you consider the Bay Area, certain areas you should NOT consider buying:

1. Foster City
  2. Redwood Shores
  3. Alviso
  4. East Palo Alto and parts of eastern Palo Alto
  5. Milpitas west of 680
  6. Downtown San Jose
  7. Santa Clara 237-101-880 corridor (including Rivermark)

All these areas are flood prone and will be inundated sooner rather than later.

2 Likes

I wouldnt buy in those areas…But I am a hill person…Don’t give a crap about walk score…To me the hills are what make the BA special…Like the flats move to Sac…In my lifetime the hills were always the most desirable areas…PA was the Farm. .Berkeley, Piedmont, Tiburon, Sausalito were the most desirable suburbs

So they admit the bigger issue is paving over prairie lands which reduces/eliminates the land’s ability to absorb rainfall. Notice how they don’t talk about rainfall per year and if that’s actually changing?

That was a great article @manch. How do people like Talbot get elected? What does Harris county finally want - a big ghost town where people flee having had enough of floods ? Fixing the existing reservoirs and widening the bayous - all that is desperate stuff but wont help if you dont enforce building regulation.

That article was written last year. Houston had two major floods in 2016. And not even a year later Harvey hit.

Houston is too far down the no-zoning anything goes path, and the officials are still very much in denial.

I built a self storage facility in Orlando, big retention basins…Most cities now require retention basins to store excess runoff…Basically to slow the flow out into the city storm drain system…SOP through out the US not sure about Houston