Ok, This is Getting Ridiculous

Having lived in San Jose and now San Francisco, I must agree Oakland has the best weather of the bay. I like mild weather but SF’s fog is just too freaking cold and gloomy.

Out of context

Those who forget history, tend to repeat history.

Agreed, if Oakland ever fully cleaned up its act (crime and schools) it literally could be the crown jewel of the Bay Area. Whenever I am at my property there, I am always jealous of the weather (and this is coming from the most biased native pro SFer there is).

[/quote]
Rather than “lose” and settle for east bay, they prefer to just play a different game somewhere else and just move. Most of the bay area tech companies have offices all over the US (and the world). There is no mechanism to force these folks to stay in the bay area.
[/quote]

My family is one one those unwilling to “settle” for the east bay. It has nothing to do with losing. I like the east bay better than the peninsula. But, my husband’s job is in Palo Alto. We have small children and my husband works 60-70 hours a week. Adding a two hour commute to that is not going to work for us. Personally, I’d rather move to Seattle, San Diego where his company has offices than tack on a commute to his day.

Plenty of bad traffic in Seattle and San Diego

Alawys done well investing in Oakland…Bought my first house there and commuted to San Mateo…That was almost 40 years ago…Traffic was horrible. …worked my way up…nothing has changed…

Sure[quote=“Elt1, post:26, topic:654, full:true”]
Plenty of bad traffic in Seattle and San Diego
[/quote]

Sure but the housing stock is WAY better. In all likelihood, we will stay on the peninsula but since my husband could transfer without a salary change, it is tempting. We could live a few miles from work in a nice house…maybe blocks from the beach. Not as many career options in Seattle and San Diego though so its a difficult decision.

That’s the real kicker I think. People would be handcuffed to their current employer. If they change jobs they’d need to take a big pay cut. Also how about career development? If the satellite office is small promotion prospects would be rather limited.

San Diego is not as cheap as people think…A decent house is $1.5m. Rent is about $5k for that house. …Traffic pretty bad on 5…

1 Like

And now we have our first troll…lol
Thanks for quick action, Manch

Good info on best markets

https://agentresources.bankofamerica.com/weeklyeconomicsummary?newsid=1c3eca6f302a106c4a9837c29e5423a9&id=998283#081602

Da Mayor of PA speaks and punches back…

A fool and his money are soon parted? :yum:

From your lips to God’s ears. But that has never gotten much play on this forum or it’s predecessor at Redfin.

Lamorinda, Danville/Alamo are areas I was familiar with as desirable places of residence of the well ensconced from my youth. (I went to CC County’s only parochial HS which drew from all over, including these bastions of gentility.) :slight_smile: But they’ve never been a hot topic amongst this group.

Most people on this forum have never been there…

Wow, gave up Facebook. Come on, there are plenty of “reasonable” places to live around here!!! Idiot!!!

“He loves to drive cars around race tracks, his expensive hobby that he just doesn’t want to kick.”

That does sound like an expensive hobby!

"My salary was about on par with what I was making at my last job in Phoenix — just barely breaking into the six figures — but housing costs were significantly different. "

So he was making 6 figures in Phoenix and yet he couldn’t buy a house in the bay area in 2010 when he joined FB? Houses across the bridge in Newark/Union City were like 300k back then. If you fancy, you could have lived in Fremont. The traffic wasn’t even bad in 2010/11… Hell, he could’ve gotten a condo/townhome in the Peninsula or South Bay…

1 Like

That guy is ridiculous. My family of four came here in 2002 with a total income of slightly above $100k and yet can buy a town home in SV. The expenses of a teenage Single is more than a family of four?

He was cashing out stock to pay rent. Rent was cheap in 2010 when he moved. It was still cheap in 2012 when he started to sell stock. How was over $100k not enough to cover rent? Homes hadn’t started to take off yet either. He could have used his Facebook stock as a down payment. He’s basically a moron.

“when the sum of money that lands in front of you isn’t life-changing, you look to the short term and what it can do for you right now.”

Although, I was at Apple during some of the time frame he was at Facbook. I definitely had co-workers that rented and spent the Apple stock money to take 2 crazy vacations a year. Some had really expensive weddings. They were having a huge party, and I was the dumb one for buying real estate in 2011.