One Out of Every 20 Americans Is Now a Millionaire

With the advances in medicine 99 is the new 50 :wink:

No, you are wrong.

Umā€¦ also pessimists die soonerā€¦ :rofl:

1 Like

[quote=ā€œsheriff, post:140, topic:3478, full:trueā€]

When we were at 25, 50 is old enough; When we were 50s, 75 is old enough; when in 75, 100 is old enough. Normally, we shift as long as possible, either life or money expectancy ! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yesā€¦ the older you are, the more money you accumulated, and the longer you want to live to enjoy that wealthā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

1.05 to the power of (99-59) is 7.04. Do you mean have the money now or keeps up with 5% inflation i.e. your income has to yield at least 5% after tax and at the point of retirement right?

I think you just revealed your ageā€¦ :laughing:

I mention that many times :grinning: I donā€™t look that old to you? :star_struck:

Umā€¦ couldnā€™t tellā€¦ Iā€™m very bad at guessing peopleā€™s ageā€¦ :rofl:

I have the rental homes, growing at 5% - beating the inflation, and paying me 5% cash flow

1 Like

Any rental home in the Bay Area can easily beat inflation even if it were cash flow negativeā€¦ but you have to be able to hold on to itā€¦ :rofl:

50% of homes paid off and 50% in 3.5% fixed mortgage. Holding is not an issue.

2 Likes

A fun way to fund wuqijunā€™s lifestyle using AAPL dividends.

Say, wuqijun is 45 years old now (fictitious, single women donā€™t get excited).
Assuming his annual expenses excluding income tax is $50k.
He would like to retire at the age of 60 i.e. 15 years from now.
Assuming inflation rate is 3%, in 15 years, his annual expenses would be $78k.
If he wants to fund it through dividends of AAPL, then gross annual dividends should be 78/0.85 = $92k.
How much AAPLs should he buy now?

Historically, AAPL dividends appreciate at 10% per year.
Discounted dividends required would be $22.0k per year.
Hence, number of shares required = 8750 :grinning:
At today close of $171.85, total investment ~ $1.50M.

Note that appreciation of AAPL is irrelevant and wuqijun can spend dividends from now till retirement in strip clubs or DRIP into AAPL (which mean less AAPL required) or buy houses in East Bay for rental (also reduce AAPLs required).

Clearly is better for him to invest in AAPLs for the dividends than to do rentals but he said he enjoys doing rentals and flippingā€¦ guess he needs to keep himself from becoming senile.

Edit: Redo computation for dividend growth from 15% to 10%.
Edit: Note that 10% dividend growth is higher than inflation of 3% (or 5% using Jil assumption), so he can afford to spend more than he planned.

3 Likes

My mom was old at 70. We now hike and ski with people in their 70ā€™s ā€¦ But my mother in law from Russia is very old at 70ā€¦ No way she will live as long as her Mom who died at 92ā€¦
American men will be lucky to make 80. Women 83ā€¦
You never know went your time is upā€¦

Life span depends on many factors. Most important is wealth. Not a surprise rich people tend to live longer. General health and activity level, race, overall happiness etc play a role.

I bet forum people live longer than average.

1 Like

Genetics is the most important factor in longevity. People who will live longer tend to have good habits as well. Correlation is different than causality

1 Like

Thanks for doing a deep dive into the life of wuqijunā€¦ You seem to know my life much better than I doā€¦ :rofl:

1 Like

Just using you as a platform to illustrate dividend growth rate is critical for dividend paying stocks. And donā€™t need $5 mil to retire :slight_smile: , what you need is the right income generating instrument. Rental houses are not good for widowsā€¦ too much hasslesā€¦ heard from my realtor that many widows canā€™t be bother to rent out the rentals after the tenants left.

1 Like

Sounds like your realtor has a gold mine of widows