Palo Alto: The Land of Too Many Jobs

Forget Manhattan, We’ll Settle for Redwood City

His “Manhattanization” comment, too, is a straw man. Palo Alto could double or even triple its housing stock without adding a single steel-framed building, much less a true high-rise. We’re talking multi-family apartment buildings and row houses, not the Empire State Building.

Based on 2010 Census data, in order to match Manhattan, Palo Alto would need to increase its population density (residents/sq mile) by 2,500%. Nobody is suggesting that. Even a massive 70% density increase would put Palo Alto only on par with nearby Redwood City—hardly a cramped metropolis.

Palo Alto should be forced to merge with EPA…would make them think like a city instead of their country club mentality. .Or better yet have one BA government

Or streamline the environmental review. Or have zoning controlled by state instead of city government.

I recently read an argument saying zoning is inherently racist. Haha. I am a full blown liberal now. :slight_smile:

PA is a racist community. .but they cover it up by saying they want to preserve the character of their neighborhoods…Woodside is even worse with their phoney zoning designed to keep it a horse community. …

I am more and more convinced Silicon Valley will expand east. Oakland is shaping up to be Brooklyn to SF’s Manhattan. Fremont and North San Jose is melting into one. Now I wonder if Pleasanton and Dublin will see more software companies set up there? Housing is relatively affordable there, and commuting all the way from Manteca and Stockton is an option. Maybe Emeryville and Berkeley will see more startup activities too, who knows? I like that area quite a lot.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_22549758/bay-area-leaders-consider-merging-region

MTC/ABAG already calls their latest 4 year plan OBAG2. One Bay Area Grant 2.

http://mtc.ca.gov/our-work/fund-invest/federal-funding/obag-2

Keep your eye on the PDAs. That is key.

Workday is in Pleasanton.

I know. But there isn’t much after workday.

Callidus, Veeva…

Oh come on. What about that horse show plot in Atherton? Fact is, these guys are holding while prices continue to rise. What’s not to love?

I just don’t like snobby communities, thanks to my egalitarian Berkeley roots

Loved Emerald Hills…much nicer than PA without the attitude

Same with South Lake Tahoe…none of the West Shore attitude

I don’t blame folks in PA for acting in their own self interests.

I do blame them for the snotty attitude. To address this, I like to constantly point out that on the national stage, palo alto schools don’t stand out. In fact, kids in lexington MA score on average 1.3 GRADES above their palo alto counterparts. Ouch! That must sting.

1 Like

Is average grade equivalent to the target grade level from US curriculum perspective?
If so, what is the meaning of 3 grades level above?
I found Cupertino is 3.2 grade above than average grade level but CUSD schools don’t teach 9th grade curriculum to 6th grade.
Does this mean that average grade is actually much lower than target grade level?

Good question Jane… One of my sons apparently reads at “grade level 6.” How they decided that is beyond me since he prefers reading Calvin and Hobbes and Magic Tree House. It’s not like he wants to pick up a book like Harry Potter let alone Lord of the Rings.

Green acres is the place to be.
Farm livin’ is the life for me.
Land spreadin’ out so far and wide.
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

New York is where I’d rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

. .The chores.

. .The stores.

. .Fresh air.

. .Times Square.

You are my wife.

Good bye, city life.

Green Acres we are there.