Real estate questions (regarding trees)

How are the nazi’s seeing the tree? Is it on your front lawn? Google maps?

Oak trees are damaged by irrigation… They are. drought tolerant… They don’t need water 6 months a year… If they are near irrigation their roots will rot and they wil topple… Don’t use irrigation near an Oak…

2 Likes

Here’s a small list of Oak trees that have come down in Menlo Park:

2009: https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2009/09/03/giant-oak-falls-at-menlo-atherton-high-school

March 2012: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Tree-Falls-into-Menlo-Park-Duplex-143082405.html

March 2017:

(Shows one at Vallambrosa, one at Menlo Park Library–check out the lack of roots, and one person comments about another tree down)

More March 2017: http://kron4.com/2017/03/22/fallen-tree-closes-menlo-park-road-downed-power-lines/

And here’s a fatality (San Jose’ man, Menlo Park VA tree):

Plus that article mentions another tree on 9th ave. came down.

Plus an Oak tree fell at Nativity church last year or the year before.

I mean seriously… It’s a problem!

Just buy the house and take down the tree during the weekend when city employee is not working.

What can they do?

They can fine you

How much is the fine? If the fine is smaller than the potential risk, it might be worth it.

As a hedge, Terri should try to become friend to the tree tzar’s wife. And bribe Manch to delete this post

1 Like

If you are going that route, better to be ignorant than to be ignoring the rules. Ignorance is bliss.

1 Like

Also try to do a good job and make the tree removal a pleasant experience to the neighbors. Neighbors are the potential whistle blowers. Maybe chocolate for each neighbor? :joy:

Better hire an undocumented guy to remove tree. Sympathy will go to the undocumented guy if there’s a hearing

1 Like

How much is the fine? => If it is city/county, you need to pay penalty charge + pay the equal tree amount to replant !

Recently, I sold a house with 5 feet diameter trunk redwood tree. If I cut the tree without city permit, likely penalty may go up to $50000-$75000. Only Larry elision can do such !

On Sept 18 in RWC i believe 137 Myrtle St in the evening happened what you see on this picture… “Big branch got tired and deiced to lie down”
Police and fire deprt blocked street. Looks like nobody got hurt bot look at driveway… lucky - no cars…Look at neighboring house - gutter got damaged only…
Picture was taken next day.

3 Likes

O, forgot to mention - nothing in local news regarding this tree

Go to Google street view - take a look at this tree before… 137 Myrtle st RWC

1 Like

Wow! That’s like NO roots!

Ignorance is costly. They’ll fine you whether you knew better or not.

They have leeway in what they fine you. Don’t visit the city, file a request, get it denied, and then do it anyways. I didn’t mean real ignorance.

1 Like

Correct! With original photos posted (backyard) by Terri, it is easy to remove silently on saturday or sunday, no trace of it next day !

If it is front yard, it may be an issue as this affect traffic.

That’s why I prefer to use the company, Weekend Tree Care…:grinning:

1 Like

I was thinking to plant some trees. With all the hassles of tree removal, I would give up on trees.

Tree regulation protects old trees but new trees won’t happen any more

Just rent control protects old tenants, new tenants won’t be able to find a rental easily though

These regulations are generational robbery

How do you know whether previous owner has not file a request?

1 Like

I’ll give you some first hand tree experience, from this year. Including the aspects of risk, damage/ cost, government and insurance.

This 1st picture shows our 4plex, Google street view November 2016. To the left, you see 3 tall Monterey Cypress trees.

The building is maybe 26’ tall… you can estimate that the trees are 55’ to 60’ tall.

Also note the power line, comcast, at&t in the front.

The dude in the picture lives in one of my apartments there. He owns the corvette (pictured) and a camper van. The camper van is frequently parked left of the garbage enclosure (2nd photo)

2 Likes

January 8th, I got some calls / texts. This had happened.

The first of the 3 trees had fallen towards the private road, knocked out the power for 80+ households.

There were cars parked in the spaces to the left, and luckily my tenant’s red van stopped the tree from falling on those cars.

By the time I got there, PG&E had already called a tree service and they cut the tree back to the appearance of the first photo. I never got billed for that. I hired a licensed tree crew who removed the rest of the tree for $1000. And I gave my tenant $300 for a new windshield. The vehicle still drives! Dashboard has a 1/2" hole.

This photo shows the first tree (toppled) and the 2nd tree.

The big question now: are trees #2 and #3 candidates for removal?

• Monterey Cypress is a PROTECTED tree in California.
  • The tree experts said that trees #2 and #3 are still solid in the ground.
  • The neighbor (SFR behind my trees) urged me to remove them. My tenants urged me to remove them. I urged the tenants to get renters insurance for the next 3 months.

I decided to have the remaining trees removed without permit, on January 22nd. A Sunday.

January 21st was a heavy storm. I was very worried about these 2 trees. I recall being up until 2am and at that time, the storm eased up, and I figured, I got no calls, we’re save. And in 18 hours, those 2 trees would be gone.

Boy, was I right.

3 Likes