Real estate questions (regarding trees)

Be ready to tell your tenants to evacuate if they haven’t already and put your homeowner’s insurance on speed dial…

Santa Rosa is not in the woods and not rural. How can half of the city starts to burn?

1500 structures burning is unheard of

I assume they already evacuated. Looks like the whole town of Santa Rosa has evacuated. The complex is mostly covered by the HOA’s master policy. Mine only covers the inside.

Thanks for sharing and glad no one was hurt.

A question though - I was always led to believe that any damage caused by a tree was the owners responsibility, unless of course the tree is city owned. Is this wrong since it seems your neighbors insurance company did not come after your insurance company to pass on the cost of repairs to you?

1 Like

You better hope the HOA has been paying it’s insurance premiums!!!

Buy when there is smoke…

I am guessing a number of the people who’s homes burned down would be open to selling and moving rather then rebuilding. How should we go about it? I have always had a soft spot for Santa Rosa and think it has potential.

I was offered a loan opportunity on Napa land…It has been withdrawn…My guess is Napa properties will experience a temporary down turn…buying opportunity

Go ahead, in a couple of years we’ll see you here selling your burned house. :rofl:

By the way, you see a tree and you can’t picture if it’s solid or hollow.

Apart from some jokesters here thinking that you can come in as a thief and cut a tree this big in the middle of the night, you will pay dearly for digging out the stump. I don’t think this is your normal Washington’s tree. It is a huge stump and so it’s the price to pay to cut it down, with a license. Other competitor buyers may be still around and snitch on you.

Believe me!

Honestly buyinghouse, I bet you there’s no roots at all left under that Oak tree. If you yank that thing out with a crane, you’ll get the whole thing.

Same here. I like the area and have been interested in buying up that way for some time, but the prices have gotten pretty crazy IMO for that area.

If it’s still standing, believe me, plenty of roots, they may be spread out, some under the little cottage or tool shade or the room for the husband when fighting for whatever reasons.

Still, don’t do what ptiemann did las time by not cutting that wood for some good kitchen tables. They are very expensive. :nerd_face:

We know one family in Santa Rosa and the fire came within 2 mi but thank goodness it didn’t get to their house… they have friends whose entire neighborhoods are now destroyed. It is terrifying seeing the pictures and knowing how quickly 2000+ structures were lost :fearful:

They are saying that it may have been power lines downed by strong winds; trees nearby would have added to the fire hazard. As ptiemann mentioned in his case, they left one tree up, but trimmed it back. I wonder if disasters like the Santa Rosa fires will move them to do more tree removal in the future.

Homeowners in such locations not only pay the minimum premium on insurance for their home to save a buck, but forget to trim the vegetation around their properties.

This is a reminder for everyone to approach their home insurance producer to verify if their home values are according to what it’d cost to rebuild.

1 Like

I had had a similar (wrong) opinion.

Unless the neighbors can prove that I neglected the trees, I am not responsible for their damage. I had a receipt for tree service at that address from 2015, so that would have been a non-starter.

My tree damaged my tenants’ cars? Not my responsibility either. They should have had renters’ insurance.
I paid for their windshield out of kindness, because they are good tenants, and honestly, given what the initial scene looked like, I realized that I got off easy.

At the other properties, it was the neighbor’s tree that crashed on my structure. I and my insurance took care of it.

3 Likes

You are joking. This is a dangerous job. Thinning branches it will cost several K. Oak is hard as it can get. $20K is close to the reality. Of all new homes that get snatched up in a week or two, I saw one with a giant tree in the back. That home is still waiting for a buyer. The builder says she is ready to move to Danville if this damned tree was not there.

The shedding of leaves and branches will keep home owner occupied. I suspect the insurance company will think twice before issuing the policy.

No thank you.

2 Likes

I may be wrong with Oak and Redwood trees as I had no experience of cutting them.

Another arboraphobe thread.
The first in the series is the view looking up from my crapper.

1 Like

Nice! Where is this?