Real estate questions (regarding trees)

La Honda. House first recorded by assessor in 1933 so it’s stood the test of time. Some folks need land and privacy and don’t care if the house is small :smiley: It is surprisingly bright on the inside (you wouldn’t think so from the photo’s) due to skylights in the living room (two huge ones) kitchen (two) and bathroom (one). But if you’re an arborophobe - definitely not for you!

1 Like

I take it no chinese takeout within a “block’s” walk…

1 Like

You can watch the tree fall on you while on the toilet…lol

1 Like

Come on, isn’t this kind of like your neighborhood now, @Elt1???

I LOVE IT!!!

And honestly, if a tree falls in the forest, can the tree Nazi’s hear it?

That said, I thought that some of the towns in the mountains required a certain cleared area around the houses for fire prevention?

Um, no. A grocer/deli and a bar. I don’t even know that Half Moon Bay, about 25 minutes away, has any good Chinese food. But Pescadero, about 20 minutes away, has a killer burrito joint.

As long as it’s clear of brush it’s OK. Ivy and trees are alright - especially redwood trees which are highly fire resistant.
Oh and if you pull a permit in this town to do ANYTHING better get on the Yahoo group to announce when the inspector will be on your street or you may become “persona non grata.”

You’d never need a laxative. The bowls would start cranking over just looking up at the thing :smiley:

1 Like

I try to avoid trees…My house in the Keys has some small ones…But they don’t grow very high in the keys

Ok guys. Back to original tree question.

Saw it again today. The tree is probably 40"-48" diameter from ground to about 8 feet up and it is clearly leaning towards the house (say, 15 degree angle) especially where the bedrooms are on the second floor, plus it is touching the eaves of the first floor.

What’s the possibility of getting permission to remove? Is it a no brainer because it could kill someone, or would the city tree czar drag his feet?

Also, access can be easily gained by using the neighbor’s driveway, but only 3 feet on side of the house if neighbor says no. Can neighbor be forced to give access (I’m assuming no). If neighbor refuses, what’s the cost of taking a crane to remove–is that included in the $20K or does it become $50K?

From what you describe it isn’t a no brainer. A heritage or a protected tree is just that. You no longer have rights over the tree and tree lovers/agencies have a say in what can happen.

2 Likes

Bid on it, allege that this tree is going to be a headache in the future, and that pain is worth $50K, that’s it.

Yeah. My husband looked up the regs–the tree has to be dying or will die due to a permitted building/change to be removed. The tree killing someone else apparently isn’t a reason.

Moving on…

But I learned a lot. Thanks!