Roof Replacement

Is there a permit required for roof replacement due to age ?
If so, any idea about the cost for the permit ?
Also, is it recommended to get a permit for roof work ?

The city is Sunnyvale

Yep. Permits needed for Sunnyvale. It’s a few hundred dollars (including a lead abatement test). Usually the roofing company will pull the permits as part of the job.

Thanks, do you have any recommendations for a contractor ?

You are going to need a lot of luck if this is a roof replacement before the rains hit. The good roofers are all busy. so your best bet is to try one of the larger ones (as they have more capacity to take jobs). I basically walked through all of yelp’s directory to see who would respond. I ended up going with los gatos roofing. they weren’t the cheapest quote, but they could get it done quickly and many of the good smaller roofers recommended I call them if i wanted to get the job done in time in a quality way. If you decide to go with los gatos roofing, PM me, if you go to them via referral you get a small discount and i get a small credit as well.

Unless it is leaking or pretty bad, why do you need roof replacement? Last time when I inquired, it was $10/sqft to15/sqft appx.

I’ve helped in the past some posters here but not anymore.

My roofers didn’t get back to me with their “thank you’s”= $ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I know a guy who can do $8.5K for an 1,100 sq ft. But he is that busy, and again, he forgot about me $ the last time I referred him. Basically, that’s the reason he is busy on my books :rofl:

Not paying permits? Your luck will be based on how good you are, and how you introduced yourself to the community. If you didn’t do any introduction, if you just come to live there without any consideration for the old habitants, probably they will burn you if you don’t pull permits. :sunglasses:

Any work that neighbors can see from the street (roof, front door & windows, additions), you better get permit.

If it is interior work and you can be discreet about it (such as rear door & windows, interior remodeling).

For the time I painted, 10 years plus, I never, ever, heard of anybody pulling permits to change a roof. 4 of them in the last 3 years tell me so.

But for your peace of mind, pull them.