Indices & ETFs

Why? It largely depends on each companies cash on hand and burn rate. There are plenty of companies that are flush with cash and can go years without raising money. They’ll do just fine. If anything, they’ll benefit from weaker competitors being forced to layoff employees and scale back R&D. A company can be losing money and have a strong balance sheet (especially when stock comp is treated as an expense). The stock comp burns zero cash.

In the cloud era, most modern tech companies require very little capital investment. They can last a very long time without raising money.

2 Likes

DOW just -740 points at this minute.

Thank your president.

It is not the president issue, he is scapegoat, but Jerome Powell/Janet Yellen actions. This is bound to go down no matter whether president speaks or not.

1 Like

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

You may be smart to invest, but not that good to read, right Jil?

Trade worries also remained after Trump linked his proposal to build a border wall between the U.S. and Mexico to ongoing NAFTA negotiations between the two countries. In a tweet Sunday, Trump said: “They must stop the big drug and people flows, or I will stop their cash cow, NAFTA. NEED WALL!”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/stocks-tumble-as-trumps-tweets-rock-amazon-again/ar-AAvmJEI?ocid=spartanntp

I predicted right after Jan 29th that market is likely to go down. By that time, Trump did not even utter any word about Tariff.

Everything happening in stock market now is well planned execution of Wall Street Institutions.

Trump is trying to help local companies, local people by reducing tax and protecting them by applying tariff on imports. This will help recover the economy faster from the current issues.

He is being used as scapegoat like the way Elon Musk is caught by his “Bankruptcy April fool tweet”.

I understand you do not agree as you do not want to agree he is good for US people ! Whatever may be, Trump is doing right for the US people, including you, me and others.

I stop updating about this from here.

1 Like

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/china-pledged-to-invest-dollar250-billion-in-us-now-what/ar-AAvnj9K?ocid=spartanntp

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/china-hammers-us-goods-with-tariffs-as-sparks-of-trade-war-fly/ar-AAvmchU?ocid=spartanntp

Bought some VOOs.

1 Like

Why VOO and not VFIAX?

VOO is etf, it may go up or down during market hours while VFIAX is mutual fund settles at the end of day.

I would prefer ETFs over MF.

Jil persuaded me. Now, I have VFINX, VFIAX and VOO for different accounts :grin:

Cool. Makes sense. So I bought a bunch of VFIAX at the beginning of Jan. does it make sense to just leave it (I don’t plan to exit the market for that investment), or is it worth it to sell and buy VOO?

Pray!

Where is @manch? Is he too busy covering all those margin calls? :thinking:

I’d pray too if I was paying 5% to borrow my money while it was earning 0%. That’s a killer.

I do not prefer any buying now, came out of market. I plan to stay away from market until I get clarity ( at least one year )

If you prefer to hold for long for many years, there is no difference.

If you sell, you book loss that you need to look at it. In case you have good taxable profit this year, you can book loss by selling it and moving to VOO. I do sometimes like this to avoid wash sale rule.

It is your strategic move how to do it.

You really do struggle with math and the truth. They are paying 5% to use their money, and the money is earning them 0% when the market goes down. That means they are losing 5% by giving you their money before using it (not counting the insurance premiums and fees).

1 Like

DCA purchasing of S&P index doesn’t need to market time. Just do that for at least 1 cycle (4 years), IMHO should be 10 years, ideally forever :slight_smile: at regular interval.

1 Like

Wow, you just dig yourself deeper. This is kind of funny.

Ahhh…not that bad!

I thought it was going to be that bad.

Tomorrow, to another round of twitter stupidity to sink the stock market deeper and deeper. :triumph: