Sea Level Rise in the SF Bay Area Just Got a Lot More Dire

2 Likes

I love it. The headline is about sea level rising. Then you learn land sinking is a bigger issue. An issue is tectonic plates which we can’t change. It also says extracting water from underground is huge issue. Then they act like slowing global warming will fix everything.

I guess this is bearish long-term for Foster City and Redwood Shores. They are landfill and bound to sink at a faster rate than other land.

1 Like

I saw this story on KTVU news last night. Granted, I or pretty much all us won’t be around to have to deal with it but your kiddies or kiddies’ kiddies might. If we can put a man (woman) on the moon, I am hopeful we will figure out something…

The solution is to head up the hills.

3 Likes

I can’t help but think whether an earthquake can alter all this sinking and sea level rise thing. Of course, sinking is better than earthquake, but too much sinking may trigger earthquake, right?

1 Like

Much of the bay’s shoreline, because it is built on mud that compacts over time, is sinking at about 2 millimeters a year, roughly the thickness of a nickel, the study by researchers at UC Berkeley and Arizona State University found.

But prominent areas that were built on fill that was not densely compacted, including sand, gravel, garbage and other debris — such as San Francisco International Airport, Treasure Island and Foster City — are sinking at a much faster rate, about 10 millimeters, or nearly half an inch a year. They face a far more serious risk of being underwater not generations from now but much sooner, according to the study. And the Bay Area isn’t ready.

2 Likes

My mom’s intuition is correct. Avoid foster city.

1 Like

This was in kron4 news few days before “San Francisco International Airport, Treasure Island and Foster City” issue

This is a natural process and it has no solution. Please ask the politicians stay as far away as possible from this issue. It’s an issue scientists can study, but absolutely no political involvement.

Sience can help us understand things better. But politicalization of science for political interest would be a huge disaster for human beings and the reputation of the science.

““There is no permanent solution to this problem,” says Arizona State University geophysicist Manoochehr Shirzaei, lead author of the paper. “This will impact us one way or another. The forces are immense, it’s a very powerful process, the cost of really dealing with it is huge, and it requires long-term planning. I’m not so sure there’s a good way to avoid it.””

1 Like

That, is why Central Sunset and your neck of the woods is primed for the future… Outer Sunset…sorry :cry:

1 Like

Oh, perfect for Millennium Tower Bay Area 2, no???

Signed,

The genius who signed off on Millennium Tower SF

1 Like

All the land on the earth sinks 2mm a year. It’s been this way for millions or even billions of years. Nothing new. Don’t be alarmed.

A lot of things happen as the Mother Nature dictates. Scientists help us to understand but don’t be scared to death by the Mother Nature’s daily work.

1 Like

Yes… I used to live in outer sunset. Why do you think I moved? :rofl:

I had a dream the other day… tsunami was rolling in from the ocean into outer sunset, and I tried to escape by climbing all the way to the top of golden gate heights… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Wow, the day err night I start dreaming about the Sunset is the day (night?) that I step away from Manch’s world for a few days and nights…

1 Like

I only buy in the hills . The higher the better.

2 Likes

If the world is sinking by 2mm a year, it would sink 2 meters in 1000 years, 20 meters in 10000 years. Do we have evidence to support this?

After a million years, it would sink 1000 feet. Which means that alsmot everyone will be underwater then.

So 1 million years ago, Sunset was a highland 1000 meters above sea level?

1 Like

I can see why you are at Tahoe… :smile:

Be positive.

At least some people in SF will get their wishes, eventually they are going to have a beach of their own. With the top part of the houses of their long gone neighbors as a touristic attraction. :smile:

There are areas rising too. If a techtonic plate goes under another, then it’s pushing a plate up as it goes lower. Also, there’s volcanic activity creating land mass.

It’s a natural process. Humans can stay put and forget about useless regulations. Human regulation may have a 0.00000000001% impact on earth.

1 Like