Singapore RE

Just my impression. Maybe I misunderstood “publicly governed and developed”.

Public housing in Singapore is managed by the Housing and Development Board (HDB) under temporary leaseholds for 99 years only. The majority of the residential housing developments in Singapore are publicly governed and developed. As 31 March 2015, 82% of the resident population live in such lease accommodation,[1] drop from the 87% peak in 1988–1990. These flats are located in housing estates, which are self-contained satellite towns with schools, supermarkets, clinics, hawker centres, and sports and recreational facilities.

Can these HDB housing be freely bought and sold in the market? What are the restrictions?

I have not unfortunately. See, I expect my wife to be telling me this stuff since her family is there, not @hanera (thank you, by the way). The issue is that she doesn’t (can’t go back?) plan on going back there. She really likes it here. Go figure, me the ABC wanting to go back there…

Singapore is not USA, almost every aspects are fathered and mothered, some love it that way, no need for god (no offense to Christians, Muslims and all other religions).

Eligibility for HDB

1 Like

So I guess the answer is “no”? That these HDB flats can’t be freely traded on private market? I am not from SG, I don’t know the ins and outs of HDB.

What does that property price chart even means then? What kind of properties does that chart cover?

Chart obtained from trading economics
Index covers all properties.

If you want granular data, you can drill down URA website.

I like the idea of diversifying real estate in 2 somewhat disparate markets, when the market was shooting up in singapore in 2012 we were in a slump here and now is kind of the reverse hot in the bay area but declining prices in singapore.
I wish I bought there long ago like hanera and could have done a cash out refi in 2012 to buy more properties at the bottom here in the BA - thats my amateur real estate investing skills.
The thing if for many rich tycoons in the neighboring countries in south east asia & asia in general singapore is a safe haven, even if rental yield is 0% they are counting on a stable currency/govt and decent appreciation (given that mortgage rates are very low there around 2%)

Not related to RE but I have a quick stop in Singapore (2 days). Any recommendations for food or things to do?

Roam in Changi Airport for an hour or two when you arrived.
Visit Orchard Road in the evening.
Eat chicken rice in Tian Tian Chicken Rice at 1 Kadayanallur St, #01 -10/11, Maxwell Food Center, Singapore 069120.

If got nothing better to do, eat Chwee Kueh in Tiong Bahru for me at 30 Seng Poh Rd | “#02-62 Tiong Bahru Market”, Singapore 168898.

Try to take MRT (subway) and tell us how it compares with HK’s, Japan’s and SF’s.

If still got time, visit any MRT station both inside and outside the station, tell us how organize is it :slight_smile: Can combine with trip to Maxwell Food Center or Tiong Bahru Market.

Yum. I’m hungry just looking at the pictures!

Thanks!

Chili crab at No Signboard or Jumbo Seafood Restaurant is good, but be prepared to spend more money than you otherwise would at a hawker center.

Things to do:

• Take a stroll around Gardens by the Bay, it’s beautiful
  • Night Safari is worth a visit if you like animals
  • Wings of Time show in Sentosa
1 Like

Frankly, Singapore is becoming a playground for the global rich, everybody (Singaporeans & foreign workers) seem to be serving them. Some of these guys blatantly bought 10 condo units to park their ultra expensive sport cars while they stay in the super large Pent House. Those became Singaporeans bought large SFH called Bungalows worth S$30-S$100 mil with swimming pool. Meanwhile, most of us stay in tiny HDBs worth S$300k-S$1M. The lucky few Singaporeans like me, stay in private condos :slight_smile: SFHs are too expensive for me.

1 Like

Why live in Singapore and compete with the crowded space when you can have lots of space and much better weather here… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!!!

Signed,

Mrs. sfdragonboy

1 Like

Always feel like an outsider here when you’re not the majority… local majority but global is a tiny fraction. In Singapore, feel like a servant to the ultra rich. Wonder where to go to feel like a man in his homeland :thinking:

1 Like

Are you planning to move back for retirement @hanera ?

Yes. Is the reason why bought only 2 SFHs here (Primary & 1 rental) and didn’t sell the condo in Singapore.

2 Likes

For me it’s easy. Bay Area feels like home to me. I just came back from a cruise where the tourists are mostly white, black, and Hispanic. However didn’t bother me. I don’t mind being different… :rofl:

https://www.propertywire.com/news/asia-pacific/signs-residential-market-singapore-improving/

The resurgence in deals suggests Singapore is on course to emulate Hong Kong’s red-hot property market, where home values have surged to record highs – following a jump in land prices last year – and office towers have fetched eye-popping prices. With housing-affordability much better in Singapore, there may be a surge in demand next year, according to BNP Paribas.