Singapore RE

Majority will win. It may take a few different party rotations in the democracy in Singapore. I think Lee is not reading his fate correctly. He should talk nicely but act slowly to prolong his government. Being blunt to 80% is a political death trap

Singaporeans are used to blunt talk, things get done their way, and not the snake oil salesman style who promises that never got fulfilled after election.

The issue with the 99 leasehold HDB is because of the use of CPF in paying for the HDB. CPF money is supposed to be forced savings for the retirement. Because it is used for HDB, at the end of the 99 years, you get nothing which defeat the purpose of CPF. Government may have realized this and come up with retirement CPF (canā€™t remember the exact name) where you are forced to buy annuity. Unfortunately, many Singaporeans have thrown every cents in CPF to housing (me included). Is not the government responsibility if they have bought private condos like myself but for public housing, people claimed that government has given the impression that their investment in public housing is safe and growing. Now people realize that is not true (donā€™t ask me who or what events have awakened them). Now Government has to provide an acceptable solution and not sneakily workaround it.

Even though many Singaporeans know that 99 leaseholds would eventually go to zero but they believe that government will have them cover, Singaporeans trust the government a lot. However, I vaguely recalled one Minister (forgot which minister) mentioned that government will not upgrade every HDB estates and tell Singaporeans not to pay excessively for old HDBsā€¦ probably started this hot issue.

80% population can become mob. They can vote Lee out of office. They can burn the ministerā€™s car or his single family house if he doesnā€™t live in a condo. I donā€™t believe the 99 year leasehold will become zero at year 99.

Can we buy these 99 year leadhold condo whenever someone creates panic? Voters will save us eventually. Is there any rent restrictions on these units?

For private condos, there are always enbloc sales. Some developers would buy the entire condo establishment for a fixed sum and applies for redevelopment. It is worthwhile for the developers because most of the condos have not maxed out the building requirements, for example, a 60 units condos that can be rebuilt to 100 units. However, public housing canā€™t be bought by private developers and so HDB dwellers canā€™t make this type of windfalls. In general, developers would pay you 50% to few hundred % more than an individual unit sale in an enbloc, depending on how desirability is the location and how much building requirements are yet to be fulfilled.

Two years ago, one of my relative is able to get $3M from the developer of the enbloc, the selling price then is $800k.

At the end of 99 year lease, the flat owners can just continue to live there and never move. Government wonā€™t evict them to make 80% of the people homeless. They can continue to live in their units forever. So they would get free land use even though they donā€™t own the land.

Therefore itā€™s better to buy HDB than private landed condos. The less time left the better.

I donā€™t know about that. We are talking about a fairly strict country when it comes to breaking laws though.

Only itā€™s a super minority breaking laws.

Thereā€™s no law on 99 year lease. Itā€™s just a contract. So itā€™s only a contract dispute and thereā€™s no law breaking. A governmental contract is still a contract and not law

1 Like

Transferring of assets. They are same same.

In Singapore, some upcoming new property launches are"

Piccadilly Grand
North Gaia

1 Like

Rent is low relative to house price. Gross rent/ market price is 1.5-2.5% which is ridiculously low. 10% increase is not a big deal, using US as benchmark should be 2-3x up :grinning:

Surging demand for property :grinning:

Of course the address number is 8!!!

Plans for Singaporeā€™s first ā€˜supertallā€™ skyscraper unveiled - CNN Style