Speaking Of Those STEM Jobs, Jobs, Jobs

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkotkin/2018/01/11/techs-new-hotbeds-cities-with-fastest-growth-in-stem-jobs-are-far-from-silicon-valley/#6caa4337bed1

“Instead, the fastest STEM growth is occurring in somewhat less ballyhooed places that have far lower housing costs and typically have less onerous tax and regulatory regimes.”

I am a little worried that WA state house, senator, and governor are all team blue. It just happened, and they are bound to do some stupid things. Witness Seattle’s recent soda tax and attempt to go against the state constitution to tax high income residents. There’s a lot of momentum to significantly increase the percent affordable housing for any new development.

Get ready for the adoption of the Mao jacket as the official Seattle uniform…

1 Like

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurencebradford/2018/01/30/how-to-hunt-for-jobs-in-silicon-valley-in-2018/#d90cb897a5d2

Job growth in Silicon Valley has been on a steady decline since 2015, meaning that there are less overall open roles available there than in the past.

Low inventory is masking the decline. So prices continue to climb. But landlords felt the pressure on rent as rent appreciation has mainly due to new comers bidding up. Declining new comers mean less bidding up, and in fact, rent has been declining in some neighborhoods.

Based on their data, Indeed postulates that the tech jobs could be going to other cities. Seattle in particular has experienced growth, and D.C. and Baltimore listings have increased as well. “There are now more tech job opportunities in other locations such as Austin or Seattle where there weren’t as many before,” says Raj Mukherjee, SVP of Product at Indeed. “Or it could be due to the high cost of living, as the San Francisco Bay Area is noted to have some of the highest housing rental costs in the US.”

You might want to start buying in those cities.

2 Likes

Top 10 companies with most open jobs in the Valley. It’s surprising Amazon is #2. Cisco and Oracle are really surprising. I thought they were laying off more than hiring. GE is a shock. They have a big office somewhere in the east bay.

Apple
Amazon
Cisco
Oracle
Google
Facebook
Salesforce
Intel
GE Corporate
Intuit

Did they retrench their older router & RDBMS staff and recruit cloud & AI/ ML guys?

Randomly selected two houses in SV, declining rent since late 2015/ early 2016

31 AM

48 AM

1 Like

Restricting Chinese graduate students to come would have a very profound effect on the Valley. Many of these people are best in their class and super smart. Maybe they will go to Europe, Canada and Australia, and in turn lift those countries up.

Thucydides trap here we come.

Thought most of the mainland Chinese returns home, is probably why Trump wants to restrict the Visas since USA taught them but they didn’t contribute to the economy of USA. Instead they went back home to startup new companies and hence become strong competitors or work for one. We don’t have hard figures, Trump is the one who has. So your personal assessment may not be correct given limited data.

I am not sure if scientists are the best politicians. I would suspect swes are better :stuck_out_tongue: tomato for 2020.

The word science sounds similar to money burning in Cantonese. Bad omen.

SWE’s are the worst. They don’t know crap about science or humanities but think they are the smartest.

Well, you and tomato are examples?

He might be. I know science

Peak of CS. Apple has slowed hiring if not freezing

Psst, not so loud or some pro Apple poster would be upset…