Study: Women Now Leaving STEM Fields to Pursue ‘Social Justice’ Degrees

@BAGB @hanera @marcus335
Have you ever worked as engineer especially in SV?
I know @marcus335 has engineering degree but not sure if he worked as engineer or something else.
I am curious why u guys are so much interested in women in engineering issue. As a female engineer, i am surprised by the level of intersts u showed for this topic, which is much higher than mine.
Given this is real estate forum, it is a bit weired to see such frequent thread regarding this topic.
How does this issue affect your life?

Companies spend massive amounts of resources trying to recruit women. Many will even implement policies that favor women. I’ve seen where a position can’t be filled unless at least one woman is interviewed onsite. That was after data showed the percent of women hired matched the percent of applicants. Google fired an engineer who dare questioned their policies. He’s right that there are tons of support resources for females and minorities. If you’re a white male, it’s tough luck. The male privilege makes everything easy for you, so you don’t get support groups. I don’t get why companies make such a big deal of it and dedicate so many resources to fixing “the problem”.

I went to a private engineering school. It was 85% male, so it’s not surprising that engineering departments are mostly men.

Yes

Regardless of whether or not I agree with you, it has been clear that this is your view throughout multiple similar posts here.
My question is why you/hanera/BAGB try to repeat the same argument over and over again in real estate forum which seems to be pretty irrelevant to this topic? I got curious if you guys had personal attachment for this issue. If so and if I know that factor, then I guess I can understand your viewpoint better.

I don’t really care. I just wanted to say there is no point to manipulate minorities and women for political purpose.

Also I like to tell the fact and truth and can’t stand white lies

1 Like

Anecdotal evidence.

A former colleague’s wife after 10 years of working as a Software Engineer got a degree in “Social Sciences” & changed careers.

Another former Colleague(woman) after 2 years working in Imaging algorithms+software went back to school for “Political Science/International Relations”

Is this good or bad? Is it ok for women and minorities work on social justice? Do we need to stop them and force them to work as engineers by using social engineered messages?

If those 2 women were forced or enticed to engineering by the national academy of engineering, was it a waste or these 2 women’s time? They spent so many years in engineering school but then decided to go back to school to study social justice when they are older?

A question for Jane. If you have a daughter who is not interested in STEM, are you going to force or entice her to STEM subjects?

If you successfully forced your daughter to engineering school and she regretted after years working as an engineer, will you feel sorry? Is it possible that your daughter’s life has been ruined by the heavy handed manipulation?

Why bother asking if you already made up an answer?

Tiger dad might do that

There are way more men in CS and engineering than women. If you are indeed worried about “manipulation” you should see whether all these men were manipulated.

Most of the manipulation effort is wasted. Society has its rules and people will choose the best career route for themselves. Manipulation will fail and cause damage to the manipulated. The manipulator is the guilty who abused their power.

We shall choose to return the freedom to the poeple, not manipulate people and treat them as robots and try to program their brains.

People are smart, way smarter than robots. This applies to girls and minorities as well. Show the due respect.

Of no interest to me, thought many bloggers are interested.

Not at all.

Did I have a view? I really don’t care.

I am going to answer this question because you also gave me answer for my question.
However, I hope this is my last post regarding this topic.
Unfortunately, I found it endless argument without much valuable points from two groups which have different opinion.

My mother was math teacher, I am engineer and my daughter wants to be an engineer.
I grew up learning how fun and valuable math could be and it led me into science high school/engineering school. Throughout entire my career, I’ve never regret my decision. I truly believe engineer is the most exciting job. I really appreciate that my mother taught me very valuable lesson when I was young.
My kids always consider engineer as a potential career option for them mainly because they witnessed that woman could be an engineer and enjoyed her work so much.
I worry much more about girls who exclude engineer from their option simply because they have never seen any real example around them than girls who are forced to be an engineer by their parents.
When I attended science high school, there were about 40 girls out of 180 students. Except 1, everyone works in STEM field very successfully.

2 Likes

If the daughter is already interested in becoming an engineer, you don’t need to force or entice her to other fields such as medical or law. If software engineer jobs becomes scarce or low pay, you should still support the daughter to chase her dream.

On the other hand, if the daughter is already interested in law or education or dancing or singing or art, there’s no need to force or entice her to engineering.

That’s the respect I am talking about.

I can tell you don’t even have any kids. Have some first and then we can come back to discuss how best to raise them.

The world is full of influences, pulling kids to this and that way. A world where there is no sexual stereotypes is just something in your imagination.

1 Like

Authors keep writing about it. Companies keep trying to fix “the problem”. It’s clearly something that a lot of people think needs fixed.

2 Likes

Stereotype is formed from thousands or hundreds of years of human history. It’s futile and unnecessary to social engineer the world. Sometimes your kid’s life is just better than she or he conforms to the stereotype natually. Overzealous manipulation by tiger dad or tiger mom can ruin a child and even threaten the children’s life. Too many suicide in some schools.

If the kid conforms to the stereotype, nice and your job is easier. If not, you need to pay extra attention and make sure they grow up happily and freely. There is no point to social engineer your kid so that she or he is out of norm. You don’t own your kid, they have their free will.

I just noticed that quite a few Asian men leave STEM jobs and become real estate investors, stock investors and business owners. How do we stop that? :rofl:

2 Likes

Manch, wuqijun, me… who else? Notice there might be some racial and may be sexist discrimination in the work place? How do we stop that?

1 Like