Study: Women Now Leaving STEM Fields to Pursue ‘Social Justice’ Degrees

Maybe we should award 3 of you guys for leaving more spots for women and minority engineers. Asian is also racial minority, but men are still a majority in engineering department. Though you can argue that Asian men are underrepresented in leadership. A large percentage of engineers are Asian men, but a very tiny percentage of leadership are Asian men. Is there any discrimination going on?

Engineers make poor leaders . Hoover, CarterYassir Arafat. Even Ben Laden… All engineers that made terrible political leaders

2 Likes

Pretty obvious. Notice more Indians than Chinese in leadership and senior management too. Is called passive discrimination.

1 Like

why is that?

I don’t think it’s discrimination. Chinese are taught since young age to be humble and respect elders. That’s antithesis to American corporate culture. Here assholes are rewarded. So not that many Chinese make it into leadership positions.

2 Likes

and indians are also assholes?

1 Like

PC answer, India was once ruled by British, China wasn’t. Hence, many Indians understand and in many ways, behave like Caucasians.

Actually I like the combative style of Israelis. They are not afraid to let you know what they think. Much more blunt than west coast Americans.

1 Like

But are they as incisive as me?
:joy:

By your definition, i am very caucasian, and somewhat israeli.

I’m very surprised by the bluntness of overseas Jews. But American Jews are actually very PC aware.

Chinese Ameicans and overseas Ameicans are also different. People from China and Singapore are blunt and direct. But Chinese Americans are very PC aware, educated in America, what’s the reason for under representation in corporate leadership?

China’s corporation is highly efficient so they can be very good leaders in their own country. Is cultural difference also a reason for discrimination or under appreciation?

And are tiger parents to blame for this?

We need to talk about Diversity at Portland State University.

Heather E. Heying said that the ratio of female vs male in CS enrollment drops off drastically starting from the dotcom boom, she said is due to the increased number of male not because of less female enrolled. She speculated that this is due to the male’s propensity for risk-taking. The high risk high reward of dotcom attracted a lot of male into CS. I like this theory better than because of more male love video gaming.

1 Like

Dotcom is a one time shock. CS career is no longer high risk. In face school teachers is higher risk. Teachers may not even be able to rent in SV.

You didn’t watch the youtube :smiley: High risk = Startups, fast changing technology,…
Reference notabene’s advice for PhD not to take ML because she thinks it would be obsolete in 5 years. Male would dare to continue to do PhD in ML.

Fast changing technology is something techies tell non-techies to feel superior. The fundamentals of CS changes very slowly. Undergrads still learn about quicksort, OOP and relational database. After graduation people settle into stable roles that update their skills slowly.

Ask the people here. If they didn’t learn ML in college do they feel compelled to learn it today? I bet most of them will say no. Whatever skills they honed over the years still have big markets. Even people programming server side java, something invented in the 90s, I bet they can still find jobs in today’s market.

OOP and RDBMS are optional courses for many colleges. CE, CMPM and TIM are spinoffs from CS. Data science is hot which include RDBMS & NoSQL database like Hadoop, of course ML, tends to use Python.

Fundamentals of CS? Not sure what those are :slight_smile: I thought fundamentals are discrete maths, data structure, algorithms, principles of programming and basic theory of computer systems.

Pretty sure you still didn’t watch the youtube. Watch the youtube first, different perspective of what is at risk.

Hey, I resemble that remark! :grinning:

In my own experience, assholes come in all flavors and genders. It’s just a case of self centerdness or more cosmopolitan view.