Tenants Seeking 14M Damage from Landlord

They are suing for 14M but said never mind we willl accept 400K just fine. That tells me their 14M claim is BS.

1 Like

The key message is never rent your illegal inlaw to any tenants.

Asking for $14.4M does not mean anything. Those 6 tenants, 2 Vietnamese-Americans, 2 whites, 2 Mexican-Americans, now change to ask for $46k and another 350k. The landlord rejected this offer and decided to have a trial.

Maybe someone should go to the court, shoot a video and post here. We can then discuss more.

“On the same day, two Vietnamese-Americans, two whites, and two Mexican-American tenants asked Ms. Wu to pay a one-time $46,210 reconciliation fee and an additional $350,000 in compensation. Ms. Wu, who has lost her job and no rental income, is unable to pay. Only she refuses.”

Umbrella insurance does not cover your unlawful acticities. An unpermitted unit is not lawful so it’s exuded by umbrella insurance I think.

2 Likes

I got sued for $600k. Settled for $9k. I was not at fault
I told the plaintiffs lawyer his claim was ridiculous. He said it it’s like selling a car ask whatever you want and settle for whatever you can get. The skeazebag basically admitted to being a used car salesman
Defendants are trapped. Litigation costs start at $100k if you actually have to go to a jury trial.
So you are out $100k even you are the winning party in a suit. Get rid of contingency lawsuits and 90% of lawyers will have to sell cars for a living.

Most of us got an :open_umbrella: insurance policy, a must in California :grinning: There are a few threads on this UI issue :slight_smile:

For landlord, tenant profile is critical. Choose the correct tenant profile. From another perspective, choose neighborhoods where you can get the tenant profile that you’re comfortable with. Guess why I don’t buy in certain neighborhoods :wink:

2 Likes

Rent control policy can turn a good tenant into a blood sucking vampire.

Hightened regulation will turn the society into a dog fighting field.

Please, let’s deregulate and make human the real men and women again.

1 Like

The best way to handle frivolous lawyers is to deregulate. Deregualtion, Deregualtion and Deregulation.

Also if the contingent lawyers lose the lawsuit, ask the contingent lawyer to pay all the legal fees from the plaintiffs.

Forbid lawyers from running for offices. Or never elect a lawyer to any public office. Let’s have real people in public office, never blood sucking lawyers.

Regulate lawyers not landlords

Fix laws.

No law, no lawyers :rofl:

1 Like

That would mean more Trumps :rofl:

Who? Lawyers to fix laws?

Make total sense.

No law, no lawyers!!!

What a smart observation.

I don’t blame the lawyers… It is the plaintiffs I blame.

I think it’s more likely to happen when there are some (perhaps minor) legitimate issues that a landlord doesn’t respond properly to, which plants a seed. Something usually happens on both sides to make a relationship break down so badly, especially when it is a group of people not just one. Majority of people, including tenants, are relatively fair in my experience.

1 Like

Tenants in SF have run amok. Supported by vicious city rules and pro bono lawyers looking to make a namfor themselves

I’ll also add - I lived in an illegal unit for a year. It was an in-law in a nice neighborhood and the unit appeared ok at first but under the surface it had so many problems. Terrible ventilation, moisture issues etc. I was sick 50 percent of the time I lived there.

I paid rent on time, left when the year was out, and bought a new place for myself to live in.

I’m guessing that at some point, a tenant will sue my landlady. She wasn’t willing to improve the ventilation or moisture issues, so after asking a couple times I gave up. She was slow to fix routine things let alone those underlying problems. The place I was living in is worth probably 3M+ as a 2-unit place or single family. She probably should destroy the in-law unit completely or bring it up to code. Maybe just sell the whole place, which she bought for a few hundred thousand years ago. But stupid people, and there are stupid landlords in that category, are short-term thinkers and cheap. Too concerned with getting the next rental check for 2K and nickel-and-diming me out of 100 dollars for utilities, than considering that they are putting huge assets at risk and that it’s not a good idea to keep tenants in poor quality illegal accommodation for the few thousand it brings in.

2 Likes

If you read, the source of the problem is that the tenants rent the unpermitted inlaw units and 2 of the tenants stopped paying rent since the city allowed free rent for unpermitted units.

Now the landlord have the problem of non paying tenants, which the city laws to allow non payment of rent and disallow eviction. What would you do if you were the landlord? SF law is enormously different from people’s common sense. I understand that you are trying to use common sense to make sense of this, but SF lawmakers have destroyed people’s common sense long time ago.

Our common sense is the enemy of SF lawmakers.

2 Likes

Now I recall that Trump’s campaign used the term “common sense” a lot. When you disregard and destroy people’s common sense, you are taking the risk of becoming an “elitist” who are out of touch with the real people. Then you lose.

So I think it’s the “common sense” that failed Hillary, nothing else.

For unpermitted unit, tenant is allowed to break lease and move out any day they want. But landlord is stuck and can’t let the tenant go. So you have a marriage that you are not allowed to file for divorce but your spouse can terminate the marriage any minute she or he likes.

But it’s true that many landlord should keep their unpermitted unit vacant. However many of those landlords are low on cash income.

SF has 30% of the housing units as unpermitted in laws. If all the landlord stops renting unpermitted inlaws, rent could easily up by 50% or 100%.

2 Likes