The Death Of Retail

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-18/bankrupt-toys-r-us-is-said-to-mull-closing-at-least-100-stores

Are you sure? So far, UPS, Fedex and private delivery always ring the doorbell.
What you need to is to instal a super sexy Ring Video Doorbell Pro that works with Alexa! Only $199!
Of course, works with iOS. See and speak if you like when door bell is pressed or someone is within a certain distance from your door.
Look a little like iPod mini/ nano because founder is ex-Apple badge.

Sometimes they ring the doorbell but most of the time they don’t. I guess it depends on where you live.

Uhm… You kinda took what I said out of its context:

“Amazon is incompetent and couldn’t be bothered to ring the doorbell, so give them a key instead? Don’t think so.”

That said, hanera, Amazon’s delivery service is fairly incompetent because they’re hiring inexperienced independent drivers. So far they’ve only managed to deliver one of three packages to my door. The other two they left on a neighbors doorstep two over. I’m in the back of a duplex and they only deliver at night, so they’ve no clue where I live because they can’t see the sign, and they don’t know the area… But of course the robots will fix all that.

That said, I don’t order same-day delivery anymore.

Just bought a used refrigerator and range $100 for both. White goods are basically free. Everyone is remodeling with stainless… I will keep buying used appliances… to hell with internet delivery bs…

2 Likes

In my neighborhood, purchases from Amazon are delivered via UPS, Fedex or some private (no Amazon label on vehicle) delivery service. Did Amazon use Amazon labelled vehicles in your neighborhood?

The 2-hour prime now and same day are delivered by independent contractors using their own vehicles. They usually make more per hour than driving for Uber without having to have people in their car.

1 Like

Same-day service is Amazon drivers. Sometimes they have Amazon on the vehicle, sometimes not. Prime 2-day is generally UPS with occasional USPS.

Ok, @manch, it sounds like 2018 will be wild in more ways than one…

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/A-tsunami-of-store-closings-is-about-to-hit-the-12465698.php

Amazon is eating everybody’s lunch. As King Bezos likes to say, “your margin is my opportunity“.

1 Like

Come on, D-Boy used to call me God…

That’s such an over-hyped story. Amazon is still <10% of retail sales. It’s not mathematically possible for Amazon to cause all of these closures.

The US grossly over built retail square footage. Cities should be looking to convert it to residential to help with the housing shortage. Also, traditional retailers are doing more and more business online. That means they need less retail square footage. Plus, let’s face it. The retailers that are failing suck. When was the last time people shopped at JC Penney, Sears, or Kmart? Walmart has been a bigger killer of other retailers than anyone else.

1 Like

I think you nailed it. I do shop at Sears but only for appliances and Craftsman tools/toolchests. So that’s twice in the last 9 years.

1 Like

Amazon has much bigger impact than its 10% market share suggests. It’s killing other retailers stock prices and thus those companies have lots of pressure to cut costs from shareholders. Also where do they get their drive to go online? They all wanted to do business the old way and got dragged into this online world kicking and screaming.

1 Like

So what are new retailers? Millenials still like to shop especially for clothes. We always hear about the deaths, but whose being born?

1 Like

Walmart started that entire trend. They were the first ones to sell at lower than standard retail markup at scale. If I remember right, standard retail markup was 60%. Walmart decided to go with 40% and figure out how to run the business cheaper. They started the retail price war that’s been going on for decades. Walmart is the retail giant with nearly $500B in annual sales. They’ve been moving in a displacing small retailers for decades.

Most retailers took on too much debt to open too many locations. They started to cannibalize sales from their own stores. That’s one of the major reasons for same-store-sales to start falling despite total sales increase. That was the beginning of the downfall. One same-store-sales start to fall, a retailer is going to have financial troubles.

2 Likes

I thought markup was 40%-50%. (I’ve been told that at least for artists, it’s 60% for the artist, 40% for the retailer)

I’d think Costco/BJs/Price club would be the first to blame for lowering the percentage.

1 Like

Costco doesn’t really sell things that cheap, other than their loss leaders (gasoline, $5 roast chicken, hot lunches etc.). What they do sell is quality merchandise at reasonable prices.

My understanding was that Costco sold at close to cost but made money on the memberships. Is this not the case?

1 Like