The Death Of Retail

SF requires some new condo buildings to have 1st floor retail in locations with good retail potential. However, many of the 1st floor commercial space has a hard time to land a tenant and often stay vacant for a long time.

But I think when shopping mall is closed, they can build high rise condos on top of the mall and keep 1st floor for specialty retail, or recreational space. Maybe each building can have a gym, a restaurant, a kindergarten, an after school care, an assisted living, a long term care, a pet hotel, an Amazon drop store, some specialty stores.

But that would require high density and that model would a density of HongKong. Even Paris and London maybe too sparse for this model to work

Ah yes, politics. Iā€™m a fed who works at one of the science agencies that The Donald wants to significantly cut. DC, aka Chocolate City, is OVERwhelmingly Democrat. Hilary received close to 91% of the vote in the 2016 here. Donald barely scratched 4%. Drain the swamp, eh??? Needles to say, The Donald has very little support or sympathy here. Iā€™ll keep an eye on future political posts hereā€¦

I guess time will tell all on the pop-up stores. They seem to keep it fresh by throwing weekend events to bring in more people over here. I think thereā€™s something unique to millennials wanting an experience when they shop and Iā€™m hopeful these gimmick pop-up stores gain traction here and other places. Maybe this similar Airbnbā€™s strategy to offer ā€œexperiencesā€ to the younger set?

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Bankruptcies R Us!

2 Likes
1 Like

How long do we expect Amazon will keep its free pass in killing retail? Sooner rather than later regulators will wake up to the fact that Amazon is putting millions out of work.

No more toys for you, Johnnyā€¦ besides, Uncle Manch wants you to hit the Algebra early anywayā€¦

1 Like

I forgot to copy and paste the link, but thereā€™s another chain store closing, forgot its name.

Donā€™t worry, more are certainly comingā€¦:wink:

Our retail sq ft per capita is still way out of wack. Thereā€™s a chance to redevelop some of the retail land for housing.

Malls screwed up the day they migrated from a place for suburban wives to a place for teenage kids. Teenage kids have LOTS of free time to hangout, but they donā€™t have a lot to spend.

As the famous sayingā€¦Itā€™s the jobs!
The malls over here in San Jose are busy. Milpitas busy, so, itā€™s the jobs!

All the spoiled kids are there buying chit made in from China. Ohā€¦wait! I thought Made in America? :crazy_face:

Man, talk about coldā€¦

1 Like

Amazon is not only killing local retail it is also inabling shopaholicsā€¦Just had a tenant move outā€¦She spent herself and her boyfriend out of house and home literally. .A millienal hoarderā€¦House was filthy and full of useless Amazon purchases. .They split upā€¦basically because of her irresponsible spendingā€¦Couldnā€™t afford the rentā€¦Now she is broke and soon to be homeless with 2 kidsā€¦Mom and Dad wonā€™t even help herā€¦and only one of her baby daddys pay child support. .

2 Likes

LOLā€¦plenty of hoarders around. Me includedā€¦:rofl:

1 Like
1 Like

She couldā€™ve gone to Walmart and done the same thing. Itā€™s not Amazonā€™s fault. It just enabled her to get less exercise doing it.

1 Like